1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

Didn't see this one anywhere else. Any comments? I guess I'll jump out there, give the announcers the benefit of the doubt and say - contradictory to Brennan's claim - they were correct in saying Florida was the first school to hold the national title in basketball and football.

I don't have the complete quote available or the announcers' names. Would they have been more correct to include the word "men's? Yes, I suppose. Were they wrong in what they said? No, I don't think so. Is this a(nother) case of PC gone too far - or am I being closeminded and shortsighted.

I'm a Maryland fan - and a Maryland native; I didn't take the comment as being disrespectful to the Terps. If the Terps repeat and Maryland also wins the football national championship, the school would be the second to hold the national titles in both basketball (pick one) and football at the same time. What's wrong with that picture (other than, of course, thinking the Twerps can win in football)...

------
    From USAToday.com, by Christine Brennan, 1.11.07
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2007-01-11-brennan-womens-game_x.htm

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

How people milk an entire column out of something like this is beyond me.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You might have to be a woman to understand why it seems like a lack of respect to hear people talk as if there are two sports: basketball and women's basketball.

Like if you went to a hospital that has doctors and "woman doctors."

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And technically, she's got a point: Tennessee was the first school to hold Division I football and basketball championships at the same time, in 1998.

Florida is the first to hold men's basketball and football championships at the same time.

So if you're not going to make the distinction ... technically, you're wrong.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

J_D --

Here is where that argument gets hazy -- if there was a woman physically good enough to play against the men, could she?

In that case, it is basketball and women's basketball.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like nitpicking to me.

7. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Column would have been more impactful if she had noted Tennessee actually was the first to do it and she had talked to Pat Summitt about the "slight" instead of the Maryland coach, whose school doesn't factor into the discussion except to be the reigning women's champ.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, in that case, it is still men's basketball and women's basketball.

That argument is irrelevant.

9. Johnny Dangerously

I think he proved her underlying point, buckweaver.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Respectfully, I disagree. I know many high school sports that qualify themselves as "Youth Varsity" and "Girls Varsity" for just that reason. Girls can compete in the boys league. Thus it is not boys basketball, or hockey, or whatever.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

We inserted "men's" into our story to make it clear.

12. Johnny Dangerously

The point is, the reference to Florida being the first Division I school to hold national championships in "basketball" and "football" at the same time was wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted