1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan on Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://thebiglead.com/?p=15844

I have a question: Did Christine Brennan hint that Erin Andrews was asking for it by not really discouraging all of the adulation male college-age fans have for her?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This has already been covered on the Sports & News board but yes she did.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/07/columnist-raises-some-hackles-with-erin-andrews-tweet.html

But, umm, to answer the question, yes, and she got called out for it and issued the soon to become standard, "twitter isn't long enough so what I wrote is being taken out of context" excuse.
    Kudos.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I thought it was an interesting enough angle on the subject to merit a separate discussion. For example, could a male columnist have said anything remotely on the same level?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Exactly what did Erin Andrews have to do twice as good to get half the credit in her ascent to her current job?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think you know the answer to that.

7. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Did Brennan get away with saying it? Seems to me she's been reamed for the comment, hence, the clarification, so wondering whether a guy could have gotten away with saying it seems like a moot point.

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

Erin Andrews is the Anna Kournikova of sports media. She draws all the crazy idolatry for her beauty and is a complicated colleague for a lot of women in the business.

I think Jeff Pearlman said she was an OK broadcaster, and the attention she gets for that is way out of proportion to the quality of her work.

So something like this happens and it churns up a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, only a small part of that pertains to the actual crime committed against her.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

There are a lot of female sports journalists who specialize in the written word who are incredibly jealous of Erin Andrews.

The things some of these women say behind Erin's back reek with bitterness and envy. One "big-time woman sportswriter" was called out by a male writer with a "sounds like someone is envious" dig and the woman's profane response would have shocked a hard-core sailor.

The more she rambled and the more she cussed, the more we all were convinced she was jealous that the much-younger Andrews is a) wealthier; b) classier and c) 500 times better known.

11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Wow gutenburg, sounds like someone is enamored with Ms. Andrews.

And the "big-time woman sportswriter" you referenced, should have told the male writer who accused her of being envious that his comment is sexist and condescending, and that women can be vocally critical of other women in their field without being envious of their "wealth" and "class."

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who cares what Jeff Pearlman thinks about her broadcasting skills? Come up with your own opinion for that. She's on everyone's TV. Not just Jeff's.

Draft saved Draft deleted