1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christina Applegate Battling Breast Cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A woman.

2. Nope, just a girl.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

With that attitude, I guess so.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You do know that's a line from Anchorman, right?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Anchorperson.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

You are a smelly pirate hooker.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

8. Ya, and the millions of people who have died of cancer just weren't that courageous...

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I really doubt that's what he meant.

10. Really? Because he said that survivors are survivors because they reach down for that extra supply of courage. The inverse of this statement is that dead cancer patients are dead because they didn't reach down for that extra supply of courage. But since you know intuitively what he was actually saying, enlighten me.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You DO know that Forever Town is a cancer survivor, right?

12. And for that I congraulate him. Still doesn't change my viewpoint. I simply hate to see a language of win/loss transferred to medicine; I don't like to hear terms like "battle" and "win" and "lose" when it involves something so horribly destructive. It's not sports. I spent many summers at a youth camp for kids with various diseases, including HIV/AIDS, sickle cell and every form of cancer---many of whom died. To me, they didn't lose. They wanted to live just as badly as the rest of us. And I don't think they died merely because they didn't reach down deep enough. Any person who continues to live with dignity with cancer---no matter for how long---is a courageous individual. That's why I don't like the framework of win/lose. We make it seem as if a cancer survivor is somehow more valuable than a cancer fatality with terms like "extra reserve of courage." I admire FT's ability to handle cancer with resolve and dignity and strength, but not because he survived it.

Draft saved Draft deleted