1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Laettner taking his life in his own hands

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Christian Laettner going to coach "villains" in charity games in Kentucky.

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/10/06/1909326/laettner-coming-to-rupp-to-coach.html

Who thinks this will end well? People will NEVER forget that shot, or his stomping on Aminu Timberlake's chest. It's is UK's Bucky F@!&*# Dent moment.

I think it's great. I've been a Laettner fan since he arrived at Duke, so this could be fun. Hope he has a really, really thick skin because he will get called everything under the sun at these games.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They should have John Pelphrey wave his arms in his face as he tries to coach. :D

3. Mizzougrad96

He'll be booed, but that was a long, long, long time ago...

I'm guessing Laettner either was paid a fortune to do it, or has developed a sense of humor that he lacked during his playing days.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he's still as big a dick as he was in his playing days and sees this as as chance to rake in some cash.

Not a UK fan but I happened to be in Lexington for the Southeast regional that weekend (The Fab Five beat Ohio State to make its first vacated Final Four appearance) and was in a bar across the street from Rupp Arena the night of the UK-Duke game. I've never heard that much glass break in a bar before or since.

It doesn't come up much but that shot not only eliminated UK but probably kept Michigan from having to vacate a national title.

5. Bob Slydell

You are SO not from Kentucky. People still talk about it, and CBS shows it in EVERY promo. It will be 50 years from now and people will talk about it.

It's for charity, so I"m guessing he will just have to have a sense of humor about it. he and Pitino already did a commercial where Laettner hit everything he threw in a trashcan in his house. I think it's kind of funny he's doing it, if I was there I'd probably be the only Laettner fan I'm sure.

But UK fans (I'm not one) will never forget or forgive. My wife still turns up her nose at him, and she could really give a rat's ass about UK.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rod Sellers wants Laettner to come coach a charity game at UConn so he can pound his head into the hardwood again.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why? He's never done it before.

Duke had to play at Rupp several times (I think. I know at least once, because I covered the game) in the NCAA tourney. UK fans filled the joint just to boo Duke.

8. Mizzougrad96

I wasn't implying that they'd forgotten, just that maybe that the bad feelings had lessened almost two decades later.

But, I'm not from Kentucky...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

More's to your credit.

Amazing how sports fans either have the longest or shortest memories on the planet, depending on the situation and their opportunity to bitch.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Laettner should be forced at gunpoint to surrender his gold medal from Barcelona and his name stricken from all official records of the Dream Team.

11. Bob Slydell

Nope, they have not. I like to mention him at family functions and watch heads spin and tempers flare. Kind of fun.

I'm sure Calipari will be their next target when the inevitable happens.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I would imagine that this (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/15/2609072/west-villages-laettner-and-davis.html) has more to do with Laettner agreeing to do this than anything else. The guy's got a pack of angry creditors breathing down his neck. He needs money. Now.

Draft saved Draft deleted