1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Snow - New director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 14, 2006.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

What does all of the above mean? The organization and players didn't like him? Why not?

2. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

He's full of him self..He's alienated himself from most of the players who try and avoid him at all costs

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think someone snuck some airplane glue in the paste WHA ate as a kid.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess if I was 24 and the beat writer for the Sox I'd be full of myself too.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I'm 24 and NOT the beat writer for the Sox ... but I'm still full of myself. ;D

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Pretty sure I'm going to take Ashy Larry's press box assessment a little more seriously than cartoon soldier boy's.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He was always pleasent with me, but we also graduated from the same high school so we had something in common. But he didn't come across as "full of himself", actually far from it.....and I never noticed any obvious animosity between him and other beat writers.

I can't speak about David Ortiz' feelings for him though, me and Papi got into an arguement a few months ago and haven't spoke since.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Chris has always struck me as a good fellow, but I wouldn't be surprised if some players resented him. He's a threat to a significant part of their egos.
    Ballplayers look down on sportswriters for the following reasons. They feel they're superior at their jobs than we are at ours. Sometimes true, sometimes not.
    They KNOW they've got more muscles and more money than writers, and that they're younger to boot. Well, most of them aren't younger than Snow. He's getting ahead faster than they did. How dare he!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chris Snow could be one of these Renaissance men who doesn't let moss gather. I mean, he could have been this generation's Stan Fischler, but decided to try to become this generation's Peter Gammons. I guess he got bored with that and decided to try to become this generation's Bill Torrey.

I had a friend like that in high school. Started out as an engineer, then became an actor and now is a studio executive.

11. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

I don't even know Chris and have no ax to grind..the (off the record) information I presented came from two beat writers and two gentlemen in the BoSox organization. Just puttin it out there..

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Snow was extremely pleasant to me, as well, and from what I ascertained, at the very least guys like Terry Francona respected him because he always asked intelligent questions and had good people skills.

And of course, although I would venture to say that WHA is full of shit, it's not really relevant if the players like him. He's not there to make friends. He did his job, and did it very, very well.

Sounds like sour grapes, WHA.

On another note, Michael Gee took issue remarked that Snow didn't exactly work his way up the journalism ladder the tough way. Well, my feeling is, he didn't have to. Great reporter, and great writer, and proved himself on a professional beat that people cared about, before even joining the Globe. If I had that kind of talent, sure I'd be pissed that I'm slogging away covering high schools at my age. But I'm not that talented, so I'm content of being where I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted