1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Simms has spleen removed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Wasn't there a hockey player who had the same thing happen to him a couple of years back? I thought it was Forsberg, but I might be wrong there.
    NBC was clueless last night. First, they reported that Simms was in critical condition, then Peter King said that was wrong, then Peter King reported that the spleen had been removed. I'm fairly sure Simms was in critical condition for at least a couple of minutes in there.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, who's Gruden's spleen-object now?

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Forsberg... ruptured it during the playoffs and ended up missing the next regular season with a variety of injuries (not just because of the spleen).

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You really should be working on-air, so we could get true medical background in cases like this.

My brother once said of the spleen, "Scientists are still trying to figure out why it's there." But from your background, I can see why his surgery puts him at a higher risk of complications.

5. It's the vestigial telepathic organ left behind by our distant alien ancestors.
    The appendix is the amplifier, by the way.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Acoording to Cold Pizza's reporter down there, his mother said it was a critical situation at one point.
    Young Simms is very lucky (as was Drew Bledsoe five years ago) that his major internal injury happened in an NFL stadium with sophisticated emergency care available and a major hospital not far away. If this happened to some kid from Podunk High in western Nebraska, he'd probably he dead.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

May I please disagree: The American College of Surgeons has worked hard with hospitals and emergency groups to establish regional trauma centers around the country and not just at major hospitals. Their designation of Level 1,2 AND 3 Trauma centers blanket the country and delay times from accident to operating room may be shorter there than in inner city hospitals. Rural medicine can be very sophisticated with the same resuscitation and diagnostic techniques available.

That said, outcomes depend on experience. The more frequent a system is used, the greater likelihood of success.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought it was the sub-woofer.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Well, to be technical, he has less guts now. :D

Seriously, get well wishes to junior.

10. That would be the canine teeth.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was his spleen replaced by Major Applewhite's spleen?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Someone best tell Chris to watch his back during this time. QB's have been replaced over this. (Right, Mr. Belichick?)

Draft saved Draft deleted