1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Simms has spleen removed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

According to ESPNews' little rotating breaking news box thingie.

Second time I've heard of a spleen removal from a hit in pro sports. Although Peter Forsberg does get credit for at least making it to the bar after the game when his happened.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I don't want to see any wiseasses making reference to Junior Mints in thsi thread.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You said thingie.

This injury reminds me of what Christopher Moltisanti said to Tony after recovering from just such a surgery...

"I got no spleen, Gene."

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Spleens are so 1993.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know a HS quarterback who was crunched in the midsection, and ended up needed his spleen removed. :-X

The hit was vicious but clean. Simms was reaching for the end zone and got blasted.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It's unusual to remove speens in trauma, unless it is completely beyond repair. Most of the time it is allowed to heal by itself without surgery. With Simms' requiring a blood transfusion, it is likely that his shattered and the bleeding was not contained within the spleen capsule but extended into his abdominal cavity.

While his recovery to return to football will probably be 10-12 weeks, depending upon how his abdominal muscles recover, becausw he has had a laparotomy, he runs the risk of small bowel obstrucions fro the rest of his life.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Like ... kidney stones of the ass?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How much does the spleen go for on ebay?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did Doctors find any heart while they were in there working on the spleen?

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm pretty sure nobody can EVER give Chris Simms shit for not having heart or guts. I think you get a lifetime pass when you finish out an NFL game with a splattered spleen.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

That's what impresses me ... when my spleen ruptured, it felt like I had my wind knocked out but had a hard time regaining it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, he gets his lifetime pass from here out. But that's also the first time.

Draft saved Draft deleted