1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Leak's Wonderlic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I'm dead serious. Brady doesn't really have any great ability. He doesn't throw especially far or hard. He doesn't run especially fast. He's not a combine specialty. But he wins, unless of course Champ Baily is there to scare the living daylights out of him yet again.

Leak is a quarterback who's very cerebral - like Brady - knows the game better than anybody in this draft and is a winner, much moreso than Brady was in college. The only thing that could keep Leak from succeedingin the NFL IMO is his height.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

While I agree I'd rather see how a guy plays than rely on his time in the shuffle drill, the combine does have a few uses. First, it gets teams more familiar with these guys. NFL position coaches run the drills, so they get to interact with them and see how they take instruction and coaching. Second, it gives some of the smaller-school guys a chance to be seen and get their foot in the door. And third, it gives scouts a baseline reading on where guys are since the season ended. You get to find out if Johnny Studback from State U. used his 4.4 speed to run home and shovel 30 pounds of Momma Studback's home cooking into his piehole over the last three months.
    And the Wonderlic, I'd assume, is kind of like the temperature for most teams. It doesn't raise any eyebrows unless it's very high or very low.

3. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

A-phucking-men.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I had a dream last night -- well, I think it was around 6am since I woke up in a cold sweat.

No lie. I really dreamt I was in a padded room with Chris Leak, Vince Young, Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning.

All of us were taking the Wonderlic, then we had to trade papers and grade each other. Rivers and Manning scored a 150 and a 220; Leak and Young scored a 6 and an 8. I scored a 2. So a fight broke out with blacks vs. whites, though I was somehow left out of the fight, and then Jesse Jackson walks in and tells everyone to calm down. He then says the Wonderlic is skewed for white QBs and he tells Leak and Young not to worry -- they'll make way more money than their white counterparts some day.

I either woke up at this point or I don't recall what happened next.

How odd, huh?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm not here to dispute Leak's football savvy, but there is something very incongruent with calling someone cerebral who scores an 8 on the Wonderlic.

6. That's a good point. I mean on the football field. He's a very smart football player. He may be dumb as a brick off it, but he sure knows his reads/defenses/etc; I think he's dumb off it because he spends so much time learning the game.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Jerry Rice = 4.6 in the 40
    Emmitt Smith = 4.7 in the 40

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I don't know how to put this politely. But let's see. There are two fingers for the pink and the other one is for the Hershey Highway. It's a sexual term. You can look it up on UrbanDictionary if you want.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

so apparently none of you realized that the score reported as an 8 was from the 12-question exam given out when they are juniors in college...the real wonderlic tests scores were not released and were taken after this was reported. just thought i would pass that along.

I am not sure why people would questionb leak's intelligence when he was an all-sec academic team member and up for that national award that also takes intoi account academic standing.

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Umm, perhaps because it's the Semi-Education Conference?

Sure as hell aren't talking Ivy League here.... Gee, you're the starting quarterback at Florida? What's your major, underwater basketweaving?

No offense, but there is no way in hell any professor at any of the major football schools are going to fail a stud player.

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

so are you saying all football players are dumb? are only ivy league football players smart? that's a dumbass comment.

12. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I'm saying it's football at a conference not exactly renowned for its academic prowess.

Is that clear enough for you?

Draft saved Draft deleted