1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on Jason Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Too busy talking about Jay Cutler.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The actual share of true professionals out there lies somewhere between Jones' hypothesis and Almatown's

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

thin skinned and afraid of the mouse. By my count Jonesey committed SJ hari kari at least twice when he became unhappy that not everyone would kiss his ring.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

::) ::) ::)

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Is it anything like the bug you have up your ass for Jones?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Except that I like Jones' in-print persona better than I like Whitlock's, his unsubstantiated opinion doesn't do any more for me than Whitlock's does. If Jones is picking a fight with Whitlock, he had his choice of weapons and unwisely selected the one that Whitlock wields all the time. He should have picked him apart with substance. I have little doubt he'd win that one.

7. Magnum

Magnum Member

Boom can say Jones has a bug up his ass but I can't point out that it's that very same behavior, that same ignorant noise, that chased them away?

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

So to further answer your question, Stoney (I hope you read this quick because some insecure lackey has an itchy trigger finger) the other reason all the prominent writers have ditched this place is the arbitrary moderation.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It was me who did the deleting. You guys don't like boom, fine. I don't care. You want to make rational comments about how he drove Jones and McGregor off? Fine.

You want to make idiotic cracks about his "fraudulent girlfriend?" Nope. And if you don't like it, you can leave.

10. Asian transvestite hooker? That was a personal shot. He just basically called Whitlock gay. What does that have to do with Whitlock's writing? Where's the professionalism in that slander?

Jones mentions Gary Smith - and rightly so - but I think the thing that eludes Jones about Gary Smith's writing is the fact that it was never about Gary Smith whereas Jones almost always injects his own ego into what he writes. Smith makes the subject of his stories come alive. Jones too often spends hundreds of words describing how the subject relates to him as if Jone's experiences and feelings were the story.

I'm guessing that Jones wouldn't describe Bill Simmons as a "pro" either (that us unless Jones had a book or something he needed to plug).

11. Magnum

Magnum Member

And here - on cue - is the other reason all the prominent writers are gone. And he's playing the gay card because, sure why not. Let's include gay basher on Jones list of indiscretions which apparently include being able to spell for something other than a blog. So much noise.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Let me add this: I disagreed with with Jones and McGregor's decision to leave this site, much in the same way I disagreed with Jeff Pearlman's decision to chase down those tweeters.

I've had my run-ins with Boom. He made it very clear at one point that he hated my moderating, just like Magnum. (Imagine, you two have something in common.) He chased me around a few threads. You know what? I didn't pay attention. Don't understand why he drives so many people so crazy. It's not like you actually have to listen to him.

Anyway, still wonder what prompted Jones to savage Whitlock like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.