1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones: "Being Poor Sucks"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 29, 2012.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I actually heard about a study correlating income to personal happiness, and is said that once you go above $70,000, the line pretty much levels out. There's no meaningful difference is moment-to-moment happiness from a person making $70,000 and $700,000.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm sure it greatly depends on where you live (and discounting professions like doctors and lawyers, who took on huge debt and expense before they got those salaries), but that sounds about right. Hell, I think there's a vast difference between $20k and $40k, and neither are anyone's idea of rich. I could be perfectly happy on one, though (as a single person), but not the other.

3. JackS

JackS Member

That's exactly what I want to know and really the only reason I posted in this thread, asking typefitter the definition since he claims to have been "rich." But crickets continue to chirp.

I mean, if "rich" equals the happiness cutoff in the studies clintrichardson and I cited, well then, that's not really "rich." But that may in fact be the amount of money some people on here are coveting and considering "rich."

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to see those studies. You can get by on $70K where I live, but you are not rich. It is going to afford you a lifestyle that is not nearly as easy as if you earn twice that much. And the difference between $70K and $700K is immense -- not just here, but anywhere. He said there is no difference in moment-to-moment happiness between those income levels, but that is a pretty vague statement. I don't think happiness is soley a function of wealth. But if you are going to try to correlate the two, you should do things, which I'd hope any studies that have tried to look at it have done: 1) define happiness in a pretty precise way (and then I wonder how it was defined), and 2) do some kind of regression that creates a model that looks at as many independent variables as possible.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Since you asked, here are a couple of articles on the one I specifically remember...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/642850.html

But I don't know JackSquat about methodology or regression, and am not really interested discussing it. I just want to know typefitter's definition of rich.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Speaking of people's different perceptions of being rich, did anyone see this exchange of tweets?

Literally think it's one of Twitter's greatest moments.

http://stereogum.com/1049152/t-boone-pickens-stunts-on-drake/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was talking to someone who said that anyone with a household income over over $100K should be considered "rich" which just seemed absurd to me.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's absurd

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bill Gates wouldn't be rich if he blew through all of his cash, either. Even in Manhatten, $100K is a decent sum of money. Not rich, but you're making enough to be comfortable.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Compared to whom? Or what?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This whole discussion is absurd.

If you make $30k, and suddenly you're making $100k, you're going to feel 'rich.' But unless you keep living as if you make $30k, that new-found prosperity vaporizes pretty quickly...pay off the bills, buy a nicer car, do some landscaping, a little vacation...oops, where's all that new money?!

But no one makes 100 and lives on 30. When you hit 100, 200 starts looking better. At 200, you think about what you could do with 300. 500. A million.

It's not about 'any one can live on (fill in the blank).' It's what you WANT to live on that makes you 'rich.'

And even then, you'll still want more. Never met anyone who said, 'Yeah, I think I make enough now.'

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looking at those studies about money and happiness -- the conclusions of which I happen to agree with wholeheartedly -- the best explanation is the underlying reason for why people have money. They work more. People who make crazy money work crazy hours. And people who work crazy hours, on the whole, enjoy life less. There was another study that came out a few months ago that looked at Ivy League grads and others over the course of their lives and found that the Ivy Leaguers lived shorter lives and were less fulfilled during those lives, despite making more money.

But if you stay in journalism, you have a shot at the best of all worlds -- work crazy hours, live a shorter and unhappier life, AND make no money!

Draft saved Draft deleted