1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Johnson, thy name is humility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jun 25, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chris-Johnson-has-a-new-nickname-for-himself-an?urn=nfl,172357

Apparently, being part of a duo with LenDale White no longer suits Chris Johnson of the Titans, at least when it comes to nicknames.

To paraphrase another pro football player with no concept of humility, he loves him some him. Pardon a moment of fanboyishness here, but the Titans' losing streak since stomping an imitation Terrible Towel just keeps on going. Imagine if they had messed with an authentic one? ;D

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Chris Johnson, thy name is humilty

Well, fuck. I was going to wonder if you would have mentioned this if it wasn't a member of the Towel-stomping Titans, but you went ahead and acknowledged your bias.

Fuck. You are making things very difficult for me this year, oop.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Should have stuck with the pair and called themselves The Penetrating White Johnson.

4. outofplace

Well, I do live to be difficult. :)

It's a fair question. Actually, I would have brought it up. I never really had an opinion regarding Johnson beyond his football skills until I read this. Now I think he is a Deion Sanders wannabe. Somebody needs to to explain to this kid that Neon Deion perfected the look-at-me schtick long ago and we really don't need anybody else following in his self-nicknaming footsteps.

It also seems like he is thumbing his nose at a teammate with this. Bear in mind that the teammate in question is LenDale White, who led the way with the towel stomping, so it kind of amuses me on that level. It still cracks me up that the lazy bastard didn't even bother to get an official Terrible Towel (from which part of the proceeds go to charity).

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, as a running back, Chris Johnson can handle contact. So any Deion comparisions are unfair.

And he is a fuckin stud. I'd try to distance myself from plodding LenDale White, too, if I were Johnson.

6. outofplace

No argument at all. Unless the opponent was a 50-something broadcaster, Deion wanted no part of a physical confrontation. I've seen kickers who are tougher than Deion.

The comparison was in personality only, but that probably isn't fair, either. Sanders can actually put together a coherent sentence. Maybe I should've gone with Shannon Sharpe instead. :)

What did you think of the new nickname he bestowed upon himself, Every Coach's Dream?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus. That "story" reads like a rejected script from Talladega Nights.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Egads man. I just read that story (had heard about the nickname but hadn't read any more than that). He does sound like an idiot.

He's Every Coach's Dream, as long as his coach doesn't care about the English language.

I've always liked Jeff Fisher and I think the Titans are one of the better-run teams in football, but between the unsustainable luck they had last year, their 98-year-old quarterback who has patented the 12-25-132-0 TD-2 INT line and their out-of-control egos at running back, they're really starting to look like a 7-9 trainwreck.

9. outofplace

It's the Towel, man..they should never have fucked with the Towel. :)

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Every Coach's Dream ... for a guy with one season in the league, that's hilarious.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nah. As much as I wanted the Titans to beat your goddamn Steelers last year, they were not built for January. They should have been, as a run-first team with a really good defense that was tested in close games. But something didn't feel right entering January.

12. outofplace

Never underestimate the power of the Terrible Towel! hehe

Seriously, they just ran into a Ravens team that did the same things better and didn't make the big mistakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted