1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chris jericho doesn't much like mickey rourke, it seems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But could he beat Zombie Miyagi?

2. jps

jps Active Member

yeah ... I think mickey's got the reach to fend off zm, but he'd have to get the ko quickly or zm might get a lucky bite in.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Batman, I've always thought you could take Superman if you got your hands on some krytonite.

4. jps

jps Active Member

what's krytonite?

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Hell if I know.

I'm off to the 'geek' thread to ask the kind souls over there.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

A wrestler isn't going to get a push from his organization if he's not physically capable of "selling" what is going on in the ring. Like I said, Mickey Rourke on his best day wouldn't put up much of a challenge for Chris Jericho.

As for Rourke as a boxer, what prime are you talking about?

Are you referring to his stellar amateur record? His stepfather disputes it and says it's all bullshit. He told Pat Jordan in New York Times Magazine two months ago that Mickey had one amateur fight, lost it, and quit the sport. He was apparently never a Golden Gloves boxer, and the stepdad isn't the only one saying it to Jordan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/magazine/30rourke-t.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:29155

As for 8-0-2 as a pro, Rourke now says it was 10-0-2. I guess anybody could go undefeated in 10 or 12 fights if their opponents presented little or no challenge. But here's the question - how did he sustain all that damage to his face if he really was winning those fights?

Jericho's only fault in this whole story as far as I can tell was dignifying Rourke's comment. But, as has been said, he was probably playing the role.....just like Rourke has been playing the role of a tough guy for years. ::)

7. I'll take someone who trained in The Dungeon over a wannabe boxer anyday.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, exactly.

Can you imagine how fast Rourke would've tapped out once Stu got him in a crossface chickenwing?

9. I'm pretty sure he would have joined the "Stu Hart made me cry" club.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good catch on the position thing, JJ. I knew I should have doublechecked that ...

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, in Jericho's book, he wrote that he never trained in the Dungeon. He did meet Stu once while visiting his house, and was stretched, but that was it.

Jericho wrote that he signed up for the Hart Brothers training camp. On his first day, he met Bruce Hart, who beat the hell out of him for asking him how many matches he had. Hart then took his money, along with the other trainees, and wasn't seen again. Other wrestlers affiliated with the Harts trained him.

Having said that, in a real fight, Jericho would stretch the hell out of Rourke.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

There's a story from a few years ago where Jericho owned Goldberg in a backstage scrap. Goldberg probably has at least 6 inches and 50 pounds on him.

Jericho is awesome. Never doubt the Man of 1,004 holds.

Draft saved Draft deleted