1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Christie has lap band surgery, will that hurt or help him in 2016?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 7, 2013.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

If Chris Christie truly had the surgery so he would be around for his children and potential grandchildren, he needs to take a closer look at his immediate family.

He would probably be considered morbidly obese. Mary Pat Christie is overweight. So are their children, at least the older ones -- including the son whose high school baseball game he famously attended via helicopter.

That could be genetic predisposition, but it is also an indicator of poor eating and exercise choices in the home. Politics aside, that's a very serious problem.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh yes, she certainly was trending in that direction prior to surgery. I recall being astounded at her near-complete disregard for her surgeon's directives re: alcohol after her surgery. She was supposed to go alcohol free for something like six weeks, but she was sipping red wine within a week. Outside of a month she was back to the vodka on the rocks (well, actually, it's vodkas (as in plural) on the rocks until she flops out on the kitchen table). It's very, very sad. We don't know what to do. My friend is a pharma rep, and one of her big docs is my physician. I've thought about mentioning it to him, but I suspect he already knows.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't this what Jesse Jackson Junior has claimed (or at least hinted) led to some of his mental health issues?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who the fuck paid for this? How much did this cost taxpayers?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That is a New Youk Times Magazine piece though they have published shorter articles saying basically te same thing.

Congratulations on your weight loss but was it due only to exercise or did you make significant dietary changes?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They're all over the place in Hollywood. There are the ones who admit it (Sharon Osborne, Randy Jackson, Carnie Wilson...) and the ones who everybody thinks did it, but they haven't admitted it (Jonah Hill, Drew Carey, John Goodman...)

7. Mizzougrad96

Great story... Thanks for sharing... Very cool...

8. Mizzougrad96

It's covered by insurance for most people who are as big as he was... I think if you're 100 pounds overweight based on muscle mass, not BMI, you qualify, or at least that was the case with my aunt.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Both, I'd say. And I'd say that I'm at my best weight when I'm firing on both cylinders with both intense aerobic exercise for 50-60 minutes a day, along with staying in the 1,600-1,800 calorie range with food.

I'll take a look at that piece later.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was reading something awhile back -- can't remember the outlet, but it was one of those higher-end magazines -- in which weight and exercise were framed as a new form of Puritanism. It was an interesting read, and I think it speaks to those here who have referred to bariatric surgery as "the easy way." There's definitely a whiff of moral superiority in the air there.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, similarly, I lost 45 and have kept it off over the last year. Now, I'm ready to try to get the last 20 off, but there's a big difference between being overweight and being the size that Christie was. He probably could lose at least 150 pounds.

I have a co-worker who lost over 100 doing the same diet that I did, and while his accomplishments are amazing, he was also, not as big as Christie, and 15 years younger than Christie.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Be careful there. Versatile may be lurking.

Draft saved Draft deleted