1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Carpenter: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Quit it with the Cy Young schtick. Winning one helps a lot, finishing top 3 not so much. What you do in MVP/Cy Young awards isn't everything or close to it.

Off the top of my head for just pitchers for guys who given 4 more seasons of sub-3.5 ERA, 15+ wins would be around the level of Carpenter given the same four years ... Johan Santana, Bartolo Colon, Barry Zito, Tim Wakefield, Tim Hudson, Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez, Mark Buehrle, Roy Oswalt ... that's all I can think given five minutes. Those are also just the older guys. There are a handful of guys in their 20s or early 30s who have done enough to be worth consideration given four more years.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It is still ridiculous.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In other news, Beej, Darryl Hall has a new album out!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

All right! I'm living in Dreamtime!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If Brook Jacoby were to come out of retirement, hit 400 more home runs, and finish with a career batting average of .287, are his two All-Star seasons enough to get him into the HOF?

I'm not saying he WILL hit 400 more home runs or have a career batting average of .287, but for the sake of argument, let's say he does. Are two all-star seasons enough?

6. imjustagirl

Both have the same chance of reaching the levels submitted.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

USF won that day and is 4-1?

But if Rick Mirer has eight more 30-TD seasons, he can write his speech for Canton.

8. imjustagirl

We don't always agree, but this was awesome.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Upon further review ... This Carpenter HOF election, on the lottery-like chance that it does happen, is a bare minimum of 20 years in the future.

I'll meet you on that thread unless I have to take care of my grandkids. My son is 11.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i move we do away with all conjecture on hof candidates at least until, you know, their career is over. it's asking folks to accept unlikely hypotheticals that gets folks riled up to begin with. a guy like carpenter is so very far from being a legit hof candidate those who offer him or others of this ilk up for debate is just asking to be ridiculed.

why even start such a premature discussion? why put us in a position to roll our eyes or mock a guy who has just had a wonderful post-season performance?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not before Powlus gets in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.