1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Carpenter: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

"It's not ridiculous."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So when Punto went 4 for 5 with a homer, I should have started a HOF thread? He had one good start and so you asked if he should be in the HOF? That makes no sense.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Met Carpenter at a hockey game when he was pitching for the Jays and he told me how much he loved hockey growing up in New Hampshire and wanting to be Bobby Orr. So maybe he gets into the Hockey Hall of Fame for that.

And despite his many accomplishments on the mound he gets into Cooperstown the same way I do: with a ticket.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

As someone pointed out, it's not so much the thread as the coming back with "it's not ridiculous" when someone questioned it. Oh and yes he had a great playoff performance but it was in the opening round of the playoffs. Those tend to get forgotten after a few years.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Thinking Pedro doesn't get in is a lot worse than thinking Carpenter has a chance.

3 Cy Young's (four more top 5's), career ERA under 3.00, 5th all-time in WHIP, 2nd all time in adjusted ERA+, 3,000 strikeouts, 3rd all-time in strikeouts per 9 ... the only, and I do mean only, thing he is missing is a ton of wins. He has the other counting stat (strikeouts) and is a top 5 pitcher in history in all the non-counting stats.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yes, I think if you take the theoretical worst HOF pitcher, Carpenter is closer to him than Pedro is, on opposite sides.

Pedro is a first ballot, slam dunk, 90-percent of the vote guy IMO.

Oh, and about those 3 CYs he won, he also should have won in 2002, when the idiot voters (looking shamefully at myself) voted for Zito instead.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

it would be a surprise for Pedro not to be 1st ballot. for anyone to think he doesn't get in is insane. forget the exact stat, but for a stretch his ERA was lower than the league average by a ridiculous amount. the guy dominated in a big offensive era and it was the AL.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But it's NOT what you said.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So Dick starts an asinine thread and blames the rest of us for calling him out. Funnily enough it still isn't the dumbest post on this thread. That would go to Abbott unless he is being sarcastic.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why isn't Gene Tenace in the Hall?[/blue]

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His hairpiece is, no?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Count me in the Pedro on the first ballot group...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.