1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Benoit and family found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought he was an Edmonton boy

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Could be. Definitely started out in Stampede, which would cover both cities. Trained under Stu Hart at the Dungeon in Calgary.

And tonight's show has been cancelled. http://www.caller.com/news/2007/jun/25/wwe-cancels-show-american-bank-center/

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Chris Benoit and family

There's a thread on Sports and News about this. Still no wire info that I've seen.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a thread over on Sports and News, and I'm highly suspicious of this.

EDIT: Dammit, John :mad:

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Thanks. Hadn't even gone to S&N over there since I first heard it on the Wrestling thread.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=99172

7. John

John Well-Known Member

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Could the lack of news coverage possibly be because newspapers don't see wrestling as a sport?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And don't forget, it's not like the announcement of Rod Beck's death was cut-and-dried either. There were reports of a "prominent resident" dying with no name hours before it was revealed.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Umm, sport or no sport.... when a family is found dead inside its home, it tends to be news.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To a degree, but Owen Hart's death was an A1 story for a lot of papers, and Eddy Guerrero's was at least in most sections. Of course, Owen died at a PPV in an accident, so it wasn't just "wrestler dies".

Interesting note on Owen's death coverage: The reporter for the CBS affiliate in Kansas City got his current job based on his reporting from it. His name, of course, is Jonathan Coachman.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What Hank said.
    It wouldn't make my section. It would damn sure make my paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted