1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard on Jake Plummer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good story in this weeks SI on Jake Plummer by Chris Ballard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181772/index.htm

Have to admit forgot all about Plummer. Clearly marches to his own drummer.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nice FU to Bernie Lincicome at the end.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it...nothing wrong with an athlete leaving sports early...it's really their choice. Even more so in football where your body takes such a thrashing.

4. Boom_70

Agree - you walk away with your dignity unless you come back - see Favre, Brett.

From story it sounds like he and Shannahan did not get along too well.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Shanahan has done zero to help his own legacy since Elway retired.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I enjoyed it, but skipped over the handball parts -- promotion of handball being the only reason Plummer agreed to doing the story.

7. Boom_70

Agreed - he had 2 potentially really good NFL QB's that he failed to develop.

8. Boom_70

Like the part about Plummer catching Gruden and Allen knuckle bumping under table after they thought offer they made would get him to Tampa.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did Plummer come off as an idiot during his playing days or just someone who was aloof? It seems that he's the one who has his head on straight.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

re: shanahan -- i know it's often been expressed that many folks consider him a sure-fire hof'er but i couldn't disagree more. his record w/o elway is just beyond terrible, as is his history developing qbs not named elway.

and the longer the trend continues the more glaring it becomes. and the stronger the case is made for other coaches who have been successful with a variety of lesser qb's leading their teams.

but plummer has always been a bit of a strange bird, with or without shanahan as his boss. i've never found him to be a compelling figure. and i sure as haven't been wondering, 'whatever happened to jake?' since he walked away.

maybe that's just me. though i doubt it.

11. Boom_70

I forgot all about Plummer till this weeks SI arrived, but found the story pretty interesting and well written as compared to say Kings profile on Goodell last week.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The first-person debate is ongoing all over the board. In that light, I found Ballard's non-use of it refreshing. He was obviously right there during handball week. Had it been other writers, we would have heard how THEY felt staring out at the lake. Instead we heard how Jake Plummer felt. It was refreshing.

Draft saved Draft deleted