1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choose a side: Al Qaida declares war on France

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

:D

Damn.

Game, set, match, season, playoffs, championship trophy ... all for Lugnuts.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance

[​IMG]

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bubbler, I've never asked a Parisian if he speaks English. Whenever they give me attitude because my French sucks, I ask if "Do you speak German?" If they say "no," I say, "you're welcome!" ;D

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Mr. Pot ... the kettle is on the phone for you. Something about the color black.

5. The Big Ragu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_France

It was a bit more prominent.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

And it lost.

Just for my own information, when did you turn ignorant?

7. The Big Ragu

Yup. But not until those American tanks were rolling down the Champs-Elysées.

8. The Big Ragu

Does Googling for a picture of a baby flipping someone the bird so you can gratuitously insult them on a message board, count as ignorance? I don't think I've ever done that.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't have any "condescention" to sell.

The "poor fighter" aspect is irrelevant to the discussion. The soldiers that were killed were dead regardless of their country's military capabilities.

I was talking about the psychological impact of a huge percentage of a generation of French men being wiped out in WW1. That's more a less a historical fact. You can agree with it, put a value judgement on it if you're so inclined but it's still a factor in the French government's surrender. And as Bubbler pointed out, the French weren't the only country to collaborate with the Germans.

I'd suggest you read "The Great War and Modern Memory" Paul Fussell's brilliant book on the impact the First World War had on not just art, literature and culture but on how we LOOK at the world now.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Americans love to gloat about saving France's bacon in WWII.
    There would be no U.S. if France hadn't gotten involved in the American War for Independence.
    We still owe the French.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Condescention?

The whiff of arrogance?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Buck,

Not enough Americans died in Europe during WWII for that?

Draft saved Draft deleted