1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipotle caves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My area is 60 percent Mexican and/or Mexican American, so the clientele of every restaurant includes Hispanics.
    I've got nothing against Chipotle. I eat lunch there once in a while when someone else wants to go there for lunch. My only real knock is that it's often too crowded and not worth the wait.
    Most of the employees are Hispanic.
    I like brown rice.
    I still consider it white people's Mexican food. Doesn't mean it taste's bad.
    But I always prefer the little hole-in-the-wall tacquerias and taco trucks. Of course, you're not guaranteed antibiotic-free meat at the places I eat.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The relatively small (200 or so head of cattle) family farm I grew up on was pretty typical of farms and ranches throughout tornado alley. We couldn't claim the cattle were "100 % grassfed" or "organic" because we did bring them down out of the pastures during the winter and feed a mix of grain (small amounts of corn, but mostly milo) with bales of hay and grass. Baby calves get sick all the time and are treated with antibiotics. I can't think of more than a dozen times in my life a full-grown cow was injected and when it was it was a dire situation.

Yes there are factory farms that overfeed corn and use antibiotics that way, but I don't think that is the kind of beef Chipotle is "resorting" to using.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw the thread title and thought that sponsorships had finally jumped the shark.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Every time I drive home from LA, I go past Coalinga and the Harris Ranch feedlot -- home to 100,000 head of cattle, each of which has about as much room as your average caged bird -- and I spend the next half-hour swearing off beef.

Then I get home and have me a nice steak.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jake, Well, you would have about a gazillion times more experience than I do with an animal farm, and I have no idea what Chipotle uses in its food (nor do I really want to know, except that this thread now has me talking about Chipotle), but the vast majority of the beef being eaten in this country comes from factory farms, not small livestock farms.

As a related aside, I was reading something in the Financial Times last week about Ned Goodman, who runs Dundee -- huge Canadian asset-management firm. His portfolio has had a really good year -- up 64 percent in the last year, and about 165 percent over the last five years, including dividends. Anyhow, I thought about that profile when I saw this thread, because he was basically ditching everything (he had a portfolio full of financial stocks), but one thing he liked was Blue Goose Capital Corp, which is the largest organic beef operator in North America. Whole Foods is their largest client. He likes it because of imminent beef shortages.

I know from following commodities markets that cattle has been on a tear -- due to skyrocketing feed costs. And as a result there is a shrinking supply of U.S. beef -- why Goodman was high on that play.

At the same time the price of cattle has skyrocketed,a supplement (made by Merck) that commonly gets added to corn feed called Zilmax, an anabolic steroid, I believe, has caused all kinds of controversy. Tyson Foods halted purchases of last week, because it said it was making livestock lame. The supplement makes animals gain 25 to 35 pounds more than normal. The speculation that this is going to create further beef shortages and drive up the price, which has been reflected in the futures markets.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You don't know this is why they are gaining more than normal. It could be because of the lower strikeout rate or unscrupulous drug testers.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or they're just lazy cows who don't want to exercise.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The grass-fed steaks I've bought in the past had almost no marbling and had to be doctored with butter to make them even approach the taste of grain-fed steaks. And I paid about 30 percent more for them. That ended my experiment in buying grass-fed beef.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The USDA estimated in 2010 that about 30 percent of all beef raised in the U.S. came from factory farms. That number was estimated to be between 75-80 percent for imported beef.

In 2010, there were 26.4 billion pounds of beef consumed in the U.S. Only 2.3 billion pounds were imported. Again, USDA numbers. So if you go with the high estimate of 80 percent of imported beef raised on factory farms, you can estimate that in 2010 about 34 percent of beef consumed in the U.S. was from a factory farm.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I do both. I consider them different things. Chipotle is easily the place I eat at most. I even used to eat at Chipotle much more often than I ate at home, though I'm eating at home more now. The hand-held, perfectly filling burrito is just something unlike the tres tacos de lengua or whatever I'm ordering at the truck.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ragu, I'm just saying that if Chipotle can't get its "all natural" beef it can purchase beef of equal quality from thousands of farmers in plains states that doesn't fit the natural or organic definition. Organic beef and beef raised on your typical Kansas or Nebraska farm is really no different even though a small percentage of the cows in the herd may have had a shot at one time in their lives. And it is a lot cheaper because the process of getting your beef certified organic is incredibly expensive and time consuming.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chipotle does some backpedaling.

It's "reviewing" a change, but no decision has been made.

I'm guessing corporate got lots and lots of phone calls and emails today after the original Bloomberg story.

http://bit.ly/1eHzwaU

Draft saved Draft deleted