1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly Takes Eagle Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

I think you know the errors of this analogy, but it's probably best to step away from it entirely.

College coaches make millions and millions of dollars. I think Triple-A managers make in the low six figures. And they're employed by the teams in a structure that tells them they're minor leaguers.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The other thing I wonder is if any of these guys say leverage be dammed, my reputation and credibility are more important. I don't want to be the next Larry Brown.

Kelly already has already go through it with Cincinnati so maybe it's not important to him.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I certainly understand why college football is more attractive, from an employment standpoint, than Triple A.

But it's still minor-league football. And if a coach wants to coach major-league football - if that's what he values - then the NFL is the logical place to ply his trade.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now I think you're being intentionally obtuse.

Also, coaching in the NFL is a miserable life. I always get a kick out of the stories that a coach would go somewhere because he "has a house there" or "loves the area." As if any of that matters to a coach who is going to spend his whole workweek in a 12x18 windowless cage.

5. Dick Whitman

It just depends on what he values, right? But I think if you value challenging yourself at the highest level - and I think a lot of these guys do value that, and Kelly fits the profile - then the NFL is where it's at.

6. Dick Whitman

No doubt.

I'm not saying that I would necessarily make that decision.

But I understand why guys do. It's an itch that needs to be scratched.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Talk about failing upwards. After a game he had six weeks to prepare for in which his team received a frightful drubbing and looked as if it had been allowed to go home for extended Christmas break on December 1, Kelly gets an NFL interview. More and more, I am convinced that the way to become renowned as a genius in the NFL is simply to avoid being an idiot.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why is the Eagles job glamorous? At best you are the #3 team in the division. The Giants have the reputation as being one of the premier organizations to work for, professional and businesslike. Also a huge media market, lots of coverage and spot light and lots of commercial opportunities. All the amenities

Dallas is the center ring in the circus, deservedly or not (NOT).
    also all the amenities and a pussy-whipped fan base. If Garrett were in Philly he'd already be run out of town. If Garrett were in NYC, he'd fare worse than Rex.

Washington's fan base and media are alot less hostile than Philly, though the stadium sucks and commerical opportunites are limited to car dealership and a local credit union.

9. Dick Whitman

The relevant comparison isn't to New York, Dallas, and Washington.

It's to South Bend.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Amen. After watching BCS game a second time it was clear to me that ND was so poorly prepared to play Alabama it's frightful.

6 weeks to prepare for a team that you pretty much know what they were going to do and ND layed an egg.

The vaunted "no crease" defense of Kelly / Diaco was shredded.

11. Dick Whitman

Yeah, no shit, huh?

In other news, Manti Te'o has been retroactively awarded the Heisman Trophy over Johnny Manziel.

12. Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

The CFL is minor league football. To some degree, the other startups and arena leagues are minor league football. College football has a life of it's own. The only comparison to minor leagues is the fact that some players move from college to the pros. As far as coaching, though, it is just different, not the NFL on a smaller scale. Hell, some would argue that coaching in the SEC is more major league than coaching in, say Jacksonville or Carolina of the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted