1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly Takes Eagle Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2013.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

after reading about how penn state boosters were "making efforts" to help keep bill o'brien at penn state, and phil knight was doing the same with chip kelly at oregon, i would think any hot college coach would line up a couple nfl interviews, or at least float rumors of them, because it seems to be an easy way to get that motorboat you always wanted.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why isn't it right, Boom?

If Notre Dame went 1-12, not 12-1, would Notre Dame keep him around despite the contract's termination language?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lots of parents are super serious about the position coaching and development their kids are promised to get at Football U., under Our Big Name Coach. They commit their children to specific programs on that basis.

Or for a certain amount of promised cash.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

""I think from my perspective I've got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever," Kelly said. "I just look at the place that I'm at and thankful for the opportunity that I have." / Brian Kelly 1/5/13

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He also made comments bowl week that the NFL intrigued him.

The day a Triple A baseball manager turns down an MLB job is the day I think twice about college coached going to the NFL. Not before.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kelly is a ladder-climber. Any Notre Dame recruit that doesn't realize that and take that into consideration when choosing a school is either dumb and/or getting horrible advice from parents, coaches, whoever.

Didn't something come out last week about the NCAA possibly doing away with the transfer rule that forces you to sit out a year? That might help these poor kids who were duped by asshole coaches who LIE!!!!

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the surface, a coach less suited for the NFL, let alone for the dysfunctional Eagles, can scarcely be imagined.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gruden's ears just perked up a bit, and he doesn't know why.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The entertainment value of his press conferences though would be huge.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't the NFL a lot more work though? And, turnover in the NFL ranks is extremely high right now.

If he can get an extension out of this, and stay at a good college program longterm, doesn't that put his current job in the same ballpark as a random NFL job?

And, does any part of these guys say, "I'm not ready" to themselves? I know they all have a ton of confidence, but, if you go when your not ready, or to a bad situation, it can get ugly quickly.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure the big-program college football to triple-A comparison holds up.

Draft saved Draft deleted