1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese gymnasts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's the Olympics. It makes the SEC look like its being run by choir boys.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I was thinking old school.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

This comes from the thread in the Journalism boards. It's a NY Times story that sheds some light on this issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Actually, all three of our girls stepped out of bounds in the floor routine.

During the beam I initially was thinking the judges were being lenient on the Chinese and harsh on the U.S., but then the U.S. started playing like the 2004 Yankees. When that happens, you have no one to blame but yourself.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From reading up on it and talking to a gymnast friend, supposedly a human body is only supposed to be able to handle so much of the strain placed on it by gymnasts. When you get older, you just aren't as flexible/able to do stuff as well as someone younger can. So really, it's just using somewhat fresher bodies capable of handling the demands slightly better.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think I heard someone explain something like that to Chris Hanson before.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Wasn't his screen name FIRMGUY69?

8. joe

joe Active Member

I don't think they have less experience than the Americans. On the contrary, they probably have more experience because they're selected when they're 3 to live in a gymnastics (or diving or whatever) factory and produce for the pride of the motherland.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Outing alert:

Ace is...

Ben Wright.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Blimey!

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm with sp here...if she really is 13, I'm even more impressed by how she performed.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whatever. It's against the rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted