1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Democracy: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Nov 21, 2008.

?

After 17 years, Guns N Roses have released Chinese Democracy. So what do you think?

1. Worth (or close to worth) the hype

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Solid effort

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Terrible

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you only can eat cheesecake so many times before you hate it for life.

and rock n roll ain't noise pollution always has been the best lick from that album ... IMHO.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm still shocked this is going to be released.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I first heard of Guns N Roses back in 1987 when a classmate (I was in eighth grade) loaned me an album that had the original GNR cover art. This guy was more into metal than I was, but was the person who got me into Metallica a few years before. At the time, I would have considered Def Leppard and Metallica to be my favorite bands.

I kind of dismissed the album because of the cover art, but after I listened to it, I was stunned at how good it was. A few weeks later the cover was pulled and they released the "Welcome to the Jungle" video not long after that. Paradise City was always my favorite song on the album.

It's the best album of my lifetime and I don't think anything else has been close, even though Nevermind, Badmotorfinger, Dirt, Siamese Dream, Ten and Vs. might all be up there as well.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think appetite is a good album, don't get me wrong. but i simply think it lacks the lyrical depth GnR proved it had down the road.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Did they re-work My World?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The opening to that song is the best of my generation.

That said, Appetite For Destruction is the best album of my generation.

7. Mizzougrad96

Back in Black is a great album, but it's not in the same class as Appetite for Destruction.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

14, actually. But what's that got to do with anything?

I really like AC/DC, too. Back in Black and Highway to Hell are both amazing, as is High Voltage. And if you want to argue that one of the first two AC/DC albums mentioned is better than Appetite for Destruction, then we can agree to disagree.

But to say that anything else that GnR ever did, or ever will do, is "by far and away" better than Appetite for Destruction ... well, I can't let that slide.

9. Mizzougrad96

So, do you think Chinese Democracy sells a million copies in the first week? I say it does.

10. I was 19 so it was fresh. Proud that I hated the Poisons and all those W-bands (Warrant, Winger, whatever). Loved Aerosmith, especially the Rocks album. Back in Black was the first cassette I bought with my own money. Played that one to the nub and still do many retro CD burns later.
    But it's not Appetite. There's something about that sound that is game-changing.

11. Noooooooo. I bet it's disappointing sales, especially in this economy. Kids don't but CDs mannnnnnnnn.

12. Mizzougrad96

I agree, but I think this one may be one of the exceptions, kind of the way the Eagles last album was.

Also, I don't think it's available on iTunes for another few weeks, which should push CD sales up as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted