1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Army Hacking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did not see this posted , ect ect

Pretty scary story in the NYT yesterday about US companies being hacked by the
    Chinese Army.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/technology/chinas-army-is-seen-as-tied-to-hacking-against-us.html?ref=global

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Definitely incredible stuff, Boom. I'm shocked it didn't seem to get more traction yesterday. I don't know that people take hacking threats seriously enough. I guess we haven't had a serious enough incident to this point. Nothing even close to a denial by the Chinese government, either. Just red herring indignance about being accused.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

The reporting the NYT has been doing the last few months has been utterly phenomenal. David Barboza, in particular, has balls of steel.

The Chinese countered yesterday that the U.S. does its own hacking. http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2013-02/21/content_16243819.htm

I expect they're right. I don't think it's racist or unfair, though, to feel like the nature of both the offending governments and their targets casts a different light on their respective hacking.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I apologize. I don't have time to read the link and post. But I saw the news about the breach of Apple's Computers. As an act of espionage, with the blurred lines in the world, it creates a tangled mess, doesn't it? During the cold war, even if there had been espionage related to private corporations, and not just state entities, you didn't have companies with a market in the Soviet Union -- dependent on them at the same time they were getting attacked by them in this way. For China's part, they benefit from having the companies they are messing with this way selling into their market, so it seems like a dangerous game, if they carry it too far.

Draft saved Draft deleted