1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China bans Olympic athletes from bringing a Bible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Olympics are some boring shit. Summer games blow...I'd rather watch a Pirates at Marlins snoozefest. I like the winter games a little better, but pretty much just for ice hockey and women's figure skating.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I still didn't get my question answered...

Does anyone know if the toilet situation has been solved in Beijing?

I am concerned for those who will need to go to the can during the Olympics... :p

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, don't forget the biathalon: skiing & shootin'. :)

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I, unlike yourself obviously, have actually been to Beijing, Shanghai and a number of other Chinese cities. I go, on average, once a year. My in-laws live in China. Thus, in stating that churches are sitting right there, on the street, big crosses, etcetera, is a FACT. I have walked past the buildings. I have friends over in China that walk around with a cross around their neck. I go into jewelry stores and see plenty of crosses for people to purchase.

What your just wrote right there is completely false. They don't need "underground" houses. They have bloody buildings; huge buildings with ministers in them. There is no "blind eye." They simply don't give a shit. Anyone stating otherwise is completely uninformed or just receiving propaganda information spouted about 30-years ago.

What toilet situation? The public locations I saw were mostly in parks that required you to squat over a porcelain hole in the ground.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So the toilet situation is like that in the French countryside. Interesting.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's official: The original story was total, unvarnished bullshit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=3099550

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is amazing, in this day and age, that people were stupid enough to buy into the original article.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To the credit of some of us, this article was never really believed. See some of the comments on page 1. Of course, many others immediately bunged up.

9. But as a safety precaution, China will be banning any China-made toys from coming into their country ...

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, but the existence of this thread, and some of the dopey comments, doesn't help much. It also doesn't help that the Catholic "News" Agency continues to flog this story with new ones like this.

I've walked through customs and down the street and into stores carrying a book that actually was banned in the country and nobody could give fuck all about it. But suddenly a book that is readily available to anyone and everyone is going to be banned? Dumb.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I didn't believe of disbelieve it. It was on google news, and I posted it.

Some of you people believe 9-11 was an inside job. This story was at least keeping within character for the communist Chinese.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

...and your level of intelligence

Draft saved Draft deleted