1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StormSurge, May 6, 2009.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The key is to undercook the onions. [/kevinmalone]

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We have this beans-no beans fight every time. It's personal preference. I happen to like beans in mine. Adds some texture. I will not begrudge you if you don't want beans in yours. Can't we just get along on this?

ANYWAY,

My Crock Pot recipe ... don't have the exact measurements in front of me, but it involves:

About a pound and a half of 93 percent lean ground beef
    2 green peppers
    2 red peppers
    2 onions (or one really big onion, like the size of BYH's head)
    diced green chiles (one small can)
    green jalapenos (one small can)
    red jalapenos (one small can, extremely tough to find on the East Coast, but they add a hint of sweetness to the fire)
    1 can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    oregano (preferably Mexican)
    chili powder
    cumin
    salt
    Cayenne (go really easy on this, too much will make the recipe way too hot)
    One bottle of good beer (no domestic swill, needs to be something microbrewed, I used Red Hook's Longhammer IPA last time I made it).

Serve with sour cream, sharp cheddar and cornbread.

Recipe would be just fine without beans too if you don't like them.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

My quick recipe:

steak tips
    Link sausages, diced
    2 cans of salsa
    chili beans
    chili powder
    a can of beer.

Enjoy.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I like to make a beef and bean stew with chile peppers.

Screw you, self-proclaimed purists.

All you really have to do is sauté a bunch of onions and garlic; brown hamburger mixed with chile powder (Pensey's Spice is a good online source.); rinse cans of kidney, pinto and black beans (It's important to rinse them.); throw in jalapeños if you like; add tomatoes and tomato sauce until the consistency is right; then either simmer it or slow cook it for several hours.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

spup had a great chili recipe on the What's For Supper Tonight thread, I think.

PM her for it. It's awesome.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

14 replies, and not one mention of trouser chili.

I am shocked.

Shocked and hurt.

Go f**k yourself, San Diego.

7. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

OK.

2 or more pounds of ground beef (none of that one pound crap. I like my chili meaty)
    1 can kidney beans drained
    1 can chili beans in the sauce
    2 cans tomato sauce
    1 can of tomato paste (i use the larger cans, but I like it thick)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    if you can find it, 1 can Rotel tomatoes

brown meat with salt and pepper. drain and put in a large pot
    add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans and chili beans
    add one palmful of chili powder, 1/2 palmful of ground cumin, 1/2 palmfull of paprika
    add habanero pepper for simmering (make sure you remove it when you're done or if someone eats into it, tastebuds gone)
    If you'd rather, a couple drops of hot sauce can replace the pepper. I just usually have them in my freezer.
    add tomato paste. stir well.
    add 2 handfuls of brown sugar. This will give it a sweet flavor, mixed with the heat of the pepper/sauce.

Simmer on low-medium for 30 minutes (or more, if you'd rather).

Top with mexican mix cheese and sour cream.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well said. For someone to come right out and say, there should be no beans in chili is completely asinine.

I would be there are probably more people that eat it with beans than not. (as proof, every one listed on this thread uses beans of some sort).

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

1 pound sausage (hot)
    1 can chili beans/starter (sort of a squat looking can)
    2 cans great northern beans
    2 cans Rotel tomatoes n green chilis
    1 large onion
    1 large red bell pepper
    3-4 cloves of garlic
    cilantro
    2 cans beer
    salt, pepper, chili powder

gather ingredients. open 1 beer, take drink. brown sausage in pan, dump in pot. rough chop onion per how much you like (at least half) and pan fry in olive oil or sausage grease, dump in pot. take drink of open beer.

put pot on heat, dump in all canned ingredients and put garlic through press into pot. take drink of open beer.

open other beer, dump in pot.

rough chop red bell pepper, dump in pot. chop cilantro to taste, dump in pot. take drink of beer.

add salt, fresh cracked black pepper, chili powder to taste. finish beer.

bring it all to a boil, turn heat down to low and let sit for a while to marry all the ingredients.

get another beer.

10. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Quick tip I love -- mix your choice of ground beef with Bob Evans Zestu Hot Sausage (the kind that comes in a log). I use about 1 tube for every 2 lbs of whatever beef I use.

[​IMG]

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

Has anyone ever seen elbow macaroni in chili? When I lived in Indiana, a couple people would come to pitch-ins proudly carrying their crockpots of chili with macaroni.

Fail.

12. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Yes, for some reason people here in the Hoosier state do that. My mom actually used spaghetti noodles. It was good, but I would not call it true chili. I think it may have migrated over from Cincinnati/Ohio where chili-mac and 3- and 5-way chili is popular at Skyline, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted