1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children should experience this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kickoff-time, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

What exactly sounds lame? This a major metro with people from all over the U.S. and about 12 different countries, so you have a varied mix of cultures.

No one forces entertainment to dress up on Oscar night and it is about 6 people total. I'm sure lots of people think it's as lame as the NFL gear.

I fail to see what is lame though about trying to honor a respected editor who died from cancer by wearing a Hawaiian shirt once a year. Again it is all voluntary.

2. kickoff-time

Geez, it's on a Sunday when no editors are around and again it is very few people. It's an NFL jersey not facepaint and the whole nine yards. If it makes you feel better our editors are required to wear ties and dress shirts daily.

Nice job though again avoiding the question about the long-term ramifications of a Halloween costume at school.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. kickoff-time

Dick,

Do you wear a dress shirt and tie every day to work? If you do is it because you have to or want to?

Now I am in the office all the time and rarely have direct contact with coaches, players, the general public. I still occasionally waer ties and everyone usually wears dressy casual. It's not like we come to work in flip flops and muscle shirts. These are very isolated days I'm talking about.

If I was a reporter and out in the public eye I would dress up every day, except maybe if I covered a 12-hour track meet or something like that.

On a more serious note, every child should experience the rolling newspaper presses and be able to get their hands dirty from fresh newsprint - before all the presses are gone.

I still think it's something special to see the first copies come off a press and then get clearer as the registration gets better. Unfortunately, the press is miles from our office so I don't see that now.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with Rick. Dressing up for the fucking Oscars? Couldn't be more lame.

The Hawaiian shirt to honor the old SE? No problem with that. But c'mon....dressing up for the Oscars? The only people who should be doing that are the people wearing a tux or a dress to the actual show.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have Talk Like a Pirate Day at our office. :)

6. kickoff-time

Arrrrh ya kiddin' me?

7. kickoff-time

Yes, nobody in sports would be caught dead wearing one. We're way too cool for that. It's the entertainment folks. They are dullards like 364 days of the year. The Hawaiian shirt guy was a news editor, not sports.

Apparently back in the day (like 1960s) taking a break for alcohol was common in the newsroom using code words. Joe says: "Hey Charlie I need to move my car." Joe comes back smelling a little different than he did before "moving his car." Ah, what fun they had in the days of hot type.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not avoiding it. Just don't have too much time right now to write a dissertation on the importance of children and routine. When I get a little window of time to do so, I'll attempt to put together a more coherent argument about it so I'm not just spouting intuition.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sex with a priest?

Draft saved Draft deleted