1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children and religion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Probably?

And if the idea of death is "devastating" to someone who is 30 or 40, they would seemingly have bigger fish to fry.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I ask this in all sincerity: Have you lost a parent yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

What does that have to do with coming to grips with the idea that humans "probably" don't live forever?

4. Dick Whitman

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight or be argumentative.

5. JackReacher

Haha. I wasn't under the impression that you were.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm with JackReacher, and I have lost a parent, plenty of other close relatives and a few friends.

There's nothing "probably" about it. And if you haven't realized that you will die before your 30s and 40s, then you're immature.

7. Dick Whitman

OK, cool.

Well, basically, what I'm getting at is that it's one thing to intellectually process the idea that we are going to die some day, and that the possibility of an afterlife is, in actuality, remote.

It's quite another to watch a parent fight for his life. And be in the room when he loses it. And then go through all those old photos. And sit in the room with that casket all evening while people stream through.

The death of a parent drives home the very real notion of mortality. and what it actually means, like nothing else.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We had an old dog pass away last night and in explaining it to my daughter, we told her that Soozie is in doggie heaven and when Lil 93 goes to heaven, in a very, very long time, she will see Soozie again.

I was surprised I said it, but I think some honesty helps, but you don't have to be brutally honest.

9. JackReacher

Exactly. But still....losing a parent, relative, or friend has nothing to do with a 30-year-old person coming to grips with the very idea that people eventually die. Hell, it should HELP, since, you know, you have proof that people "probably" die.

But yeah, I was simply poking fun at the "probably" thing. Unless Dick knows something I don't.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is something I would not press upon a person.

11. Dick Whitman

By "probably" I mean that there is probably not an afterlife, at least as we think of it as children.

12. JackReacher

Uh....ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted