1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez saves choking man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Story about Tony G doing the heimlich on a choking man at a restaurant in California.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3477130

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I figured he would have saved someone from the Mets.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We are not amused, Dickens.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

nice feel-good story.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My first inclination was Marty Schottenheimer. Unfortunately, Cider beat me to the joke.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Great stuff. It's refreshing to know there's an athlete out there like Tony G, who has done so much for the KC community, has done stuff to enrich himself (I recall an SI story on Tony G spending a summer in Mexico) and isn't a showboat punk on or off the field.

And when he's in the public eye, it's not for cheating on his wife, getting pulled over for DUIs or getting busted for drugs.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

That's the second guy that Tony G has saved, but the story behind the first one is just unbelievable ... from what I recall, several years ago he bodyslammed a photographer on the sidelines of a Chiefs game, knocking the poor guy to the ground so hard that it knocked him out ... they took the photog to the ER for a CAT scan, and found that he had a brain tumor that was close to becoming inoperable ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was gonna say Cubbies, but yours works too....

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I thought it was hilarious that the guy he saved was a Chargers fan.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did he bodyslam the photog on purpose? If so, then that is a fucking weird story.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

For those of you with a jaded view of pro athletes, the Gonzalez story reminds that most are just normal people and who have sports as their jobs. They take their family to dinner, go to school plays, hang out in the back yard and are regular folk who live down the block, and when called upon, help their neighbor.

The sad part of the story is that numerous people didn't get up to help.

Please, please, please give your family and friends a special gift and take a CPR and first aid class. It takes a few hours and may save a life.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pretty incredible first-person account with interesting photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted