1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs make a hire: Todd Haley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Per Jay Glazer/Fox Sports: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9187366/Sources:-Cards-assistant-tabbed-to-coach-Chiefs

2. Another swing and a miss for Mort.

What is it, strike 12 now?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not really impressed one way or the other. Maybe he'll pan out, maybe he won't. Time will tell.

Good luck selling the house in Phoenix.

Good luck finding someone to take Larry Johnson off your hands. Maybe you can lure Kurt Warner to take the place of Tyler Thigpen.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Do not want Kurt. He'd get crippled. And if no one will give even a late round pick for LJ, they should cut his ass. I don't want to see him in a Chiefs uni ever again.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This Chiefs fan is pleased.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's not an impressive hire because Todd Haley has never been a head coach. We'll know if five years if this was a good hire.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nobody evcer heard of this guy until Anquan Boldin yelled at him.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree with TSP on this one.

Also, how hard can it be to run a successful offense with a quarterback like Warner throwing to the best receiving corps in the league? I wonder if Haley even had that much control on offense since Whisenhunt is an offensive guy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Man is he having a bad year. I love it.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Faulty logic. Experience doesn't necessarily mean someone's going to be a good head coach (see: Phillips, Wade). Lack of experience doesn't necessarily mean someone's going to be a bad head coach (see: Gibbs, Joe v. 1.0).

It's too early to tell if Todd Haley's going to be a good head coach. He's arguably in a situation where we may not find out with that train wreck of a franchise he's going to. But to say this is a bad hire because Haley has never been a head coach is ridiculous.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think you misunderstood kingcreole's point. In fact, I think you and he agree entirely. But I could be wrong.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

What Pioli should do:

Trade for Cassell (2009 2nd round pick, 2010 first rounder) and sign him long term, add a RB in the draft (Donald Brown, Shonn Greene, LeSean McCoy), dump Larry Johnson (which is going to happen anyway), and trade the 3rd selection in the draft to fill some holes on defense (especially pass rush - embarassing group last season). I might even consider drafting Aaron Curry third.

Draft saved Draft deleted