1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chico's Bail Bonds meets the Red Sox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 23, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Red Sox will have advertising on their uniforms for the opening series in Japan. Unbelievable... what's next, the Yankees selling naming rights to the new stadium?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/23/sox_uniforms_to_sport_emc_logo_during_japan_games/

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Yankees did the same thing a couple years ago when they played Tampa Bay in Japan. Ricoh, patches, IIRC.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Where's that Chicago columnist making fun of Best Buy Chicago Fire now?

It's all about the dollar -- or yen.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Welcome to the future of sports marketing.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And of course the Japanese are going to pony up the dough for this advertisement. I mean, that TV you watch, that sushi you eat, I mean, even that kimono you wear. Where to you think all that money goes, hmm?

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't think it's even just the future, at least not in the other countries. Haven't Japanese baseball teams and most of the world's soccer teams done this for a while already? It's just a big deal here in the US because we've never really seen it on a wide-scale level.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly. Ricoh was locate on the sides of the helmet and on the uniforms.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, it's prevalent in NASCAR and MLS. And it's going to keep growing. Already, teams sell naming rights to stadiums. What's the next logical step? Sell ad space on jerseys and the teams. Soon enough, we'll hear, "Welcome to Bank Of America Field At Yankee Stadium, where the McDonald's New York Yankees host the Wendy's Boston Red Sox."

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't think it will get that far. Didn't some companies want to advertise on the bases a couple of years ago, and Selig and the rest of those jabronis refused? You definitely have naming rights for stadiums, but that is actually a good thing, because it saves taxpayers some money in the upkeep of said stadium.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I believe that Selig and Co. worked out a deal with Columbia Pictures to advertise one of the Spider-Man movies on the bases at Yankee Stadium during a Fox broadcast.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

MLB didn't refuse. They greenlighted it but then scrapped it after the ensuing PR shitstorm.

And yeah, it had something to do with one of the Spiderman movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted