1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chico and the Nats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 5, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting read on Chico Harlan and his eventual escape from the Nats beat

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/escape-from-the-press-box/

Now that's a quote I agree with. I used to take great pleasure in sports, now I rarely watch and I certainly don't go to sporting events and not be paid to be there.

Anyone else?

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Total opposite. I love going to sporting events, even when I am not covering them. I am a little more discriminate about what I watch, baseball and hockey mostly.
    One thing I never understood about sports writers and editors is why they complain so much about the sports they cover. I still think we have one of the coolest jobs in the world. I thought that when I was in high school and carried a sports page in my back pocket every day.
    I have been covering the Pac 10 swim championships the past couple weeks. I had a great conversation with the Cal coach. He has an Olympic gold medalist and a kid from Estonia on his team. Both won races and the two couldn't be more different. I would never had learned about these people if I wasn't writing stories about them. I certainly wouldn't be going to a college swim meet if I wasn't writing for a sports section.
    Every time I cover a sporting event, I have a chance to meet and talk to very interesting people. I am not sure very many other professions offer that sort of opportunity.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I am right there with you.

I'm still a fan of sports, but outside work or being at a game live with friends, I avoid talking or watching sports for the most part.

Hell, in the office waiting for stuff to come in, our TV is more likely to be on reruns of Law and Order, Family Guy and King of the Hill all night rather than a sporting event.
    I'm sick of discussing sports at family functions - you know how it is - because you're the sports guy so everyone wants to throw something sports related your way.
    I would rather just enjoy the BBQ and my day off thanks.

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I enjoy sports much, much more now that I've left the business. When I was a college beat writer and a columnist, I felt obligated to cover and watch as many games as possible involving the people, teams and conferences I covered. This meant that when I had free time to actually relax, I had very little interest in watching more sports. And, when I did, I didn't really care. The job had made it a job.

Now, when I have some time to chill and watch a game, it's a diversion, not a job. It's fun again.

5. spud

spud Member

This job has totally sapped my love of sports outside the job, so I know where he's coming from. I enjoy doing my job, but why would I want to extend work by watching more sports when I get home? I'm running to Travel Channel or a movie just to get away. I remember fondly the days when watching sports generated some kind of emotional response beyond the analytical.

I'm not a fan of sports anymore as much as I'm a fan of the teams I've always rooted for.

6. tmr

tmr Member

I love sports and love live events, but unless it's free or one of my two favorite teams, I'm not going. I won't pay for much, unless it's a special occasion.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Comparing Chico to James Reston and Jimmy Breslin isn't accurate.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I echo your sentiments on talking about sports, but at least, in my family, it's a diversion from long dissertations on welding (men), scrapbooking (women) and the evilness of Obama.

9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I still love sports, but the ones that I care the most about have changed. I grew up a huge baseball and football fan, but now I gravitate towards college basketball and the NHL. It's weird, because I don't cover the NHL, but I do cover college hoops. I don't cover MLB, but I have spent time in the NFL.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, other than I think the overall pace and environment surrounding those specific games. The NHL is fast paced, always entertaining, especially if you go to a regional rivalry like Pittsburgh/Washington. And college basketball has always been better than the pro game, and perhaps more so now with better coverage of some of the smaller schools with great stories and great fan bases.

10. This is exactly how I feel about it. I love going to watch games now, even high school ones. They are so much more enjoyable when you don't have to keep track of every effing rebound/assist/steal/basket! :D

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Are we related?

On topic: This was an interesting read. I agree you can't fault, Chico. Further, he wasn't saying being a sports writer necessarily makes you like sports less. Some writers do this forever because they really, truly love the games. Guys like Verducci loooooove baseball. They breathe the game and will have to be wheeled out of the press box when the great umpire in the sky says, "Yerrr out." Sports journalism simply tests your love of sports, but also journalism. For Chico, journalism won out and he decided he isn't fulfilled by only writing sports. Some people are. I'm one of them.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I covered college sports for many years and now that I don't, I don't have a big interest in college sports like I used to. I still tune into my alma mater's games but that's about it. I couldn't tell you 10 teams in the top 25. As far as college sports goes, I still very much root for the story. I'd rather my alma mater lose a buzzer-beater than win by 30.

I never covered baseball but remain a big baseball fan. I will say, however, that being a sportswriter has certainly toned down my fandom. If my team loses, I don't care too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted