1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Jun 18, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m in town for basically a one-day impromptu dalliance. (Of course it’s going to be 100 today.) Any tips? Hoping tonight’s Cubs game doesn’t get rained out. I did some digging but couldn’t find the old on the road thread (didn’t we have one?) or anything Chicago-centric.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wrigleyville.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you've never been to Chicago: (in order) the architecture boat tour, a Cubs game, the Art Institute (this jumps to 2 if it's a free day), Sears Tower, Navy Pier, the bars, the beaches,

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Navy Pier was nice. Also very touristy. Of course, I’m from Boston and we have Quincy Market, who am I to judge.

I tried going to a game — tonight looks like it ain’t happening — so I’m hopping around Wrigleyville bars. Hoping to find some local spots a few blocks away...

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Portillos

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cornbread crust deep dish pizza, wow.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

A deep dish pizza. Also, Lincoln Park Zoo is very nice and free.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

If Cubs aren’t in the cards, catch a show at Second City.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is a thing? Oh my.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Too late for your visit perhaps but a great deep dish spot for out-of-towners is The Art of Pizza on Ashland. You can order by the slice so you don’t have to worry about waste or carrying around leftovers. (And the pie is damn good.)

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just walk up and down Michigan and State -- from Wacker south about a mile. You'll get the big city vibe. If you can take the Purple Train north to Wrigley, do it.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If my Fitbit is to be believed, I walked more than 10 miles yesterday. I didn’t realize how walkable a city it was. Started through Grant and Millennial parks, continued up the lake, went to Navy Pier, walked to the Red Line, got to Wrigley, walked around the ballpark quite a bit, hit up a few bars in Wrigleyville. I did deep dish at what appeared to be a touristy spot (Pizano’s) on Sunday. It was my first time in the city and not cursing while flying through O’Hare or Midway. I’ll be back.

Draft saved Draft deleted