1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago TV reporter in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Jul 10, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

shock's me very little. 90-percent of the TV newswomen I meet are flirtier than a Girls Gone Wild chick.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eeeesh... This is #6 hottest newsbabe in Chicago?

She wouldn't make #6 in El Paso.

[​IMG]

And yes, women SportsJournalists.commmers: We *are* going there...

3. swenk

swenk Member

Wow, in Chicago watching the CBS affiliate report this, that is one saggy bikini top.

To their credit, they're leading with the terrible weather, but already teased with the bikini top.

That is the quote: 'Local reporter seen in a bikini top.'

If she had been wearing a tshirt--or a conservative one-piece--would we be seeing this? Just wondering. No one commented that she's in the home of a potential suspect with her children, just that she wore a bikini top.

The husband of the missing woman is walking around shirtless (not a pretty sight, fyi) and it appears there are other adults there as well.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I agree with Eric Zorn's take: This is only an issue because she is a woman and she was wearing a bikini.
    More on the link...
    http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/07/defending-amy.html

I have a source, a very good one. We've become friendly. And he invited me to join his book club. I did. Somebody alert the Poynter police...

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Zorn's column is interesting, but it doesn't address the critical question: "Will Jacobson's actions negatively affect viewership?"

That's what this is about -- nothing else.

And, the answer is yes, it will. Viewers are going to see her as the person who took her kids -- another thing Zorn doesn't address -- to the home of a suspected kidnapper for a pool party. The only thing that may save her is some statement from her husband indicating that he was aware of it.

Barring that, she's a goner.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nonsense -- There is a big difference between eating dinner with someone, having lunch with them -- and going to their house to swim and bringing your kids with them, particularly a guy who is being watched because his wife disappeared.

What you and Eric Zorn seem to be saying is that there is no line that can be crossed and that is just bull. There are clearly lines and I think most reasonable reporters would agree this woman crossed one.

I mean, what if, when inside, he said, I'll give you an exclusive if you strip for me and then blow me. Should she do it? Is that just being friendly?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If it was a male reporter and he was invited by someone other than a source to a function.
    No one would give a shit.
    My impression and I think what Zorn is saying are the same: People care because it is an attractive female reporter in a bikini.
    Ever been on the road and drank in the hotel bar with a coach you covered? Ever been to anyone's house and not for an interview?
    For all we know, they might be neighbors.

8. zagoshe

The problem with political correctness is it causes people to lose their minds and thus their credibility and that undermines them when they have a legitimate thing to bitch about.

This is not a case of sexism or double standards.

If a male reporter was seen in a speedo in the backyard -- and coming in and out of the house at will as if he'd been there before -- of an attractive female who was also in a bathing suit and said female also happened to be the object of a major story in which her husband had disappeared under mysterious circumstances, you better damn well believe it would be a big story.

And people would care because they should because actions like this undermine the credibility of all of us.

9. zagoshe

Um, no we know they weren't neighbors.

And having a drink or even dinner is a far cry from what this woman did. If you can't figure that out, then I'm afraid you are beyond hope.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

But it's not a male, and it's not a hotel bar, and women have to know better. It may not be fair, but it's reality.

A male reporter can go into a player's hotel room for an interview...I shouldn't. I can, but it's a ridiculous risk, not for my safety but for my credibility. Someone will notice and ask and question. My risk. She took that risk and got burned.

11. zagoshe

A female reporter can also go into a female subjects hotel room for an interview and I shouldn't nor should any male, not at least unless they are accompanied by someone else. Not these days, not in these times. No way.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This guy has not been cleared in the case of his wife's disappearance (right?), so he could be a murderer or an accessory. Yet this woman rounds up the kids and goes to his house to frolic in the pool. I'm flabbergasted for her as a parent, forget a reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted