1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune no longer plays in Peoria

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shark_Juumper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

It happened a long time ago here in Louisville, to the point where it takes a decent effort to find The Courier-Journal even in Lexington.

I have to say that the whole thing has always flabbergasted me. Why, in this age of technology, are deadlines earlier and earlier and the process of delivering the paper getting slower and slower.

It doesn't make sense to me that a newspaper in the 1970s would've had a 2:30 a.m. copy close and still be able to get to all corners of the state, while now we have state-of-the-art presses and computers and can't seem to get it to many front doors. I know, the cost of delivering the paper has increased.

I think the cost of shedding readers, and influence, is even higher.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Agreed. A newspaper like the Chicago Tribune should be found in the other major cities of the state. It should be in Springfield, Peoria, Champaign, etc. For it not to be does hurt in terms of influence, at least in my opinion.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. That 2:30 a.m. edition never saw the corners of the state. Newspapers have simply done away with the 6 p.m. (or 9 p.m.) edition that would go there.

2. In the 1970s 12-year-olds like me were delivering your paper. Now it's done by adults who need to be finished by 5 a.m. so they can shower and get to their real job.

3. In the 1970s we were not also printing The New York Times, USA Today, Barrons and God knows how many other publications.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sure, you can say you can just read the Trib online. But without a paper product, there is no Trib online, because newspapers have not figured out how to make money on the Internet.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And I still say this is the real issue. The pool of job-seekers out there who are able to deliver papers at 1 or 2 a.m. ain't exactly that desirable. Of course, sending 12-year-olds out into the streets on their own at 6 a.m. may not be the smartest idea anymore, but maybe we should revisit younger carriers.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right, but of course every paper can be found online. In a far-flung part of Illinois, the only hard-copy papers might be the local small daily and the Tribune. Taking the Trib out of that equation is a very big deal if you ask me.

I also hate to hear big-city papers not circulating in smaller state capitals, i.e. the Trib in Springfield. In Florida, many of the big papers used to make great efforts to get a few copies in Tallahassee. That certainly wasn't a money-making endeavor, and when they had to make cuts that was an easy one. But that still sucks. If you're a statehouse reporter and you have a big story, don't you still want that hard copy in a politician's hand? Can they be as mad if they're waving a computer printout? :)

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That was my thought _ the state's most influential paper should be in the state capital (or capitol, I always get those two mixed up).

8. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

I think he already is. Seems like there are a fair number of people who live in Kenosha and commute into the northern suburbs. I'm guessing Kenosha is part of the affected area of southeastern Wisconsin.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about the AJC, though. The Trib will at least have an E-edition up and running (which it looks like it already is, according to the link). The AJC doesn't have that e-edition yet.

Papers that don't have the E-editions up yet are going to have to get up to speed.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What does the sad-sack Sun-Times do? Have they ever had statewide circulation?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Guy 1: We're not making enough money.

Guy 2: I know, we can stop selling papers in large cities in Ill. and Wisc. and make less money.

Guy 1: BRILLIANT!

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think that's because they don't charge enough for ads. But that's what happens when you have so many outlets to advertise in. Once papers go solely online, they may get more for ads.

I still think just raising the price for a newspaper would help. Gas is $3.69 a gallon in my neighborhood and a newspaper costs 50 cents.

When I began driving, gas was $1.19 a gallon and a newspaper was 40 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted