1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune looking for agate editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, that's just the type of wild conjecture which got us all in Dutch in the first place. ;)

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I seem to recall Piotr is not a fan of blue font.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

While I think Mizzou was clearly exaggerating (as he often does), the pay for these positions - especially to live in a Chicago - is a very valid question.

And while it's fair for Mr. Kellams to respond as he did, the lack of a concrete answer doesn't exactly scream "Living Wage." When you advertise a job (especially at a company that like most is not exactly healthy), you're gonna get questions. I know if I was still toiling in newspapers in the business I would want to know what the pay is for this position.

Obviously, he doesn't have to reveal the pay rate in order to sell these jobs. There are still plenty of people who would apply for such gigs, seeking the newspaper brass ring.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pay questions are fair game here. Maybe even more so with jobs like "agate editors," which may not bring the same numbers to mind as "Bears beat writer."

But overall...Mike, don't sweat it. Thanks for posting the gigs.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's your point? If the OP won't answer questions, then he's going to hear from the masses. That's fair game as well.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Only if he looks.

7. From what I know/hear from current/ex Trib staffers, about this guy, I'd...nevermind. Will keep to myself.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was simply asking a question. I have no idea what Tribune Co. pays its clerks. Maybe they get $50K a year and a company car.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not true. You were betting it was under $12/hour.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Of course it is. The histrionics coming from some on the board over this one, though, are ridiculous.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You confuse histrionics with mild disgust. And I think I'll hang onto that.

He came into the house and scolded the inhabitants. You get that?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not really. It was a question with a kicker. If you were trying to bait...it worked.

Draft saved Draft deleted