1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune hits sports web/desk staff hard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by motorsportwriter, Jun 3, 2015.

1. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Not sure if this link will show up or not, Tribune layoffs cut 10 newsroom jobs but Robert Feder reports that the Chicago Tribune laid off four higher-ups or respected veterans in the sports department: Sports digital editor Stu Courtney, sports copy editors Robert Foltman and Mike Pankow, and associate sports editor Lee Gordon.

There may be two others, but their names haven't come out yet.

Interesting thing is the statement from the Trib says things like the digital side are growing. So why lay off the sports digital editor? BTW, Courtney came to the Trib from the Sun-Times, where he preceded Chris DeLuca. Stu is good people, as are Pankow and Gordon. Don't know Foltman, but he has a good rep.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wow. That's some pretty serious bloodletting.

3. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

The four scariest words I ever hear from college kids are: "I'm majoring in journalism."

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You can hear the crickets chirping at night -- there are so many empty desks -- where I work now. It's only a matter of time before the reaper gets us all.

Draft saved Draft deleted