1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune baseball writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tmr, May 25, 2013.

1. tmr

tmr Member

Surprised no one has posted this one. It's Dave Van Dyck's gig, he retired. I assume they have people in mind and just posted this for legal reasons, but it's rare the Trib has a job to fill these days.

http://careers.poynter.org/jobs/5425541/baseball-reporter

2. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

Talked to another Trib writer who mentioned this to me, so it sounds like they are fielding interest from outside. Not for me, but a potentially great gig.

3. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Just fyi, there are no laws requiring employers to post a job. Many jobs are filled without the job being posted.

4. I don't know why people keep thinking there is a legal requirement to post a job.

As for the question people will ask, what if I just graduated and haven't had anything published in a newspaper, do I have a shot?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"What are you in for?"

"Didn't post a job before I hired a guy."

6. tmr

tmr Member

ha. I knew legal was wrong word when i typed it. I meant more of a company policy perhaps. I know they've been talking to people for more than a month.

7. It's not a legal requirement, but it might be an advisable policy to insulate the company from future lawsuits, etc.

For example, deposition in a discrimination lawsuit.

Plaintiff's lawyer: "How many of the last 20 reporters you hired were women?"
    Newspaper attorney: "None, but we didn't have any qualified candidates."
    Plaintiff's lawyer: "Well how many of those jobs did you post publicly and how many were filled through your hiring editor's personal network?
    Newspaper: "uhh...."

An over-simplification, of course, but I imagine that's why it's always helpful to post jobs for legal reasons, if nothing else.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

They just brought Ed Sherman back into the fold for his old gig (sports media) after laying him off a couple years ago. I wonder if the atmosphere is getting a little better there.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the company, Carl, but I think the Trib itself is much better than it was a few years ago. If they bring someone like Ed back, maybe it means they're recognizing the mistakes made?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Depends on the company. Privately-run newspaper, correct. State or federal agency, including state universities, there is usually a requirement to at least post a job notice, even if the manager already has someone in mind.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Ed Sherman return looks like a freelance deal based on how he described it. Good idea, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted