1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Trib ombud about celbs on A1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What's a celb?

Seriously, though, one thing I hate about my paper is when they put that shit on the front page. When Lady Bird Johnson died, she wasn't punch or banner, which bothered me since she was from Texas. Instead we had some Harry Potter bullshit.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Why not get both out there?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. I just thought more should have been made of Lady Bird Johnson since she grew up near here.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

uh, what? you're comparing harry potter to a celebrity? harry potter is a phenomenon that millions of people care about. the concept of a book as an event is news in and of itself. i can't imagine why anyone would be upset that their paper covered harry potter?

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think the comparison was Harry Potter to Lady Bird Johnson, not Harry Potter to a celebrity.

I think the idea that they both belonged out front is a valid one, especially in Texas and if she was from near the paper.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. Thanks for clarifying my opinion better than I did.
    I just think Lady Bird Johnson was a pretty big deal and should have been played up bigger in a paper in Texas, that is all.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You should be glad Lady Bird didn't go out front, then your paper was spared having to explain why a flopped photo ran as lead art, like the Startle-Gram and San Antonio did.
    Lady Bird was tricky, after LBJ died she moved her wedding ring to her right hand, so in the flopped photo, it looked like the ring was on the left hand, so the photo editors thought it was right.
    Oops.
    Didn't help that the Dallas Morning News ran it correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted