1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Sun Times lays off its entire photo staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, May 30, 2013.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To state the obvious, this isn't the action of a paper in a two-paper town. This is a company desperately treading water until a buyer can be found.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

In a two-paper town, papers are not competing against each other anymore. They are competing for their own individual survival. For the Sun Times, that means cutting costs to the bone -- and not out hustling the Tribune at any cost.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

A few of my reporting colleagues have done just that. They won't freelance for us on principle, and I've asked more than once -- and even got our new top editor to ask.

Meanwhile, a news-side guy who took just about every assignment offered was recently hired back full-time with benefits. (He had been with the company a while, albeit bouncing between several papers and multiple jobs, but I'm guessing he took a pay cut.) Several photogs make quite a bit of their freelance incomes from the paper(s) for whom they were formerly on staff.

If you have another source of income, principles are great. But principles don't pay for groceries. :-\

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I could see taking some freelance gigs if there were across the board layoffs. But if I was a photog at a paper that size and they eliminated the entire photo staff, I'd never shoot for them. I've known some photographers who were canned who have gone on to do pretty well for themselves and wouldn't need the paper's assignments.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There were eleventy million "pro" photographs available from AP/Getty/etc. To me this is simply a failure of photo SELECTION, not necessarily "we didn't have any of our guys there because we fired 'em all." Sometimes being forced to use your own guys (who have only a fraction of the images available elsewhere) can be a negative.

Maybe the S-T was trying too hard to make the wraparound-two-covers shape work. But it's not THAT odd of a horizontal. There HAD to be many, many superior images available that just didn't get chosen for whatever reason.

As for the Trib, I'm a little torn on the "At last!" being under the photo. I can see the argument for why it was done, but . . . that's about as low on the page for a 500(?)-point headline I've ever seen.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

What's a photo staff?

Vombatus likes this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The photo was way better than that hed. Absolutely the right call.

Draft saved Draft deleted