1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Sun-Times (and Tribune) Fail?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I was in Chicago this weekend and figured I'd pick up the Sunday editions of the Tribune and Sun-Times for the trip home. I start reading the Sun-Times and there are four or five prep basketball stories from games happening on Friday night -- straight gamers, nothing "feature-y" about it. I don't think too much about it -- maybe there wasn't room in Saturday's paper -- and keep going. Next, there's a preview of the Illinois/Ohio State game in Sunday's paper. The game was scheduled for Saturday, and it even says that in an infographic about the game. Same thing for Saturday's Bulls/Cavs game. (Everything was correct with the football coverage.) The newspaper says Sunday at the top.

I get to the Tribune section and it's the same thing, only to a lesser degree. There's a preview -- not a gamer -- of the Ohio State/Illinois basketball game. There's also a notebook preview for the Bulls/Cavs game. Both those games happened Saturday night. Illinois: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012211aaa.html, Bulls: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=310122004. Both editions are Sunday.

What...the...heck?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

maybe they sent the wrong page and none of the press guys saw it.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

This would be 3-4 of the wrong pages with the Sun-Times and 2 wrong pages for the Tribune. That's pretty significant.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You sure you got the real Sunday edition? Not sure if they still do this, but as of not too long ago many of the biggest papers printed an early Sunday edition on Saturday. It was a vehicle to frame the ads and coupons for weekend shoppers.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Well, the date says Sunday, January 23, it sold for Sunday prices, and I bought it at 7:30 am when newspapers should be delivered by on a Sunday morning.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Check the A section and the rest of the paper and see if there was anything else printed that actually happened Saturday. The places pay for the paper, so they're going to sell the ones they have and recoup their money regardless of whether they have a newer model available.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm guessing you got Saturday's version of the "Sunday" paper...it happens.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I think that might have been what happened. The weather is for Saturday. I've never heard of this practice.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what you bought.

It would drive me crazy when I accidently bought one of these editions on a Sunday.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I was really hoping to see what sort of pullout work the two did on a Sunday, especially in advance of such a big game.

11. mb

mb Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog_edition

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Sounds like a bulldog.

Draft saved Draft deleted