1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago road trip: Cubs, Lollapalooza, sightseeing and booze

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Yes, Michael. Philly invests all of that in the eschatalogical meaning of a steak-and-cheese sub.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Thanks for the tips so far. Some of my comments on your comments:

-- I think I'll package the Museum of Science and Industry excursion with the DuSable Museum of African American History. It looks like an easy walk. Also, one of the Powell's locations is nearby, so I'll knock that out, too. Part of the fascination for MSI is its connection with the World's Fair (only remaining building). Thanks to "Devil in the White City" for that.

-- I feel the Cubbies fans pain on the journey to Wrigley being a Saints follower for so many years. But it's part of that team's curse that they can sell-out games for a crap team because the ballpark is so great. Never been there, so I gotta go. I'll boo the Tribune Company heartily (although they could still offer me a job some day).

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the notion of trying to whittle down all the stuff there for a five-day visit, but I'm slugging away with my Lonely Planet guide.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Hit Old Town up if you have time, dinner at Twin Anchors or Old Town Pub, then Second City, drinks at Saluki Bar or Old Town Ale House.

Fun outdoor bars, in the summer: Sheffield's in Wrigleyville, Pontiac Cafe in Bucktown, Citizen in River North (kind of trendy)...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, no outing Armchair QB. "I've spent my entire life rooting for this team? Oh God whyyyyyyy? WHYYYYYYYYYYY??" :D ;D

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"In Chicago, there is the mysterious "something". In Chicago, a spirit broods upon the face of the water.
    Find me a writer who is American and has something new to say, and nine times out of ten i will show you
    he has some kiind of connection with the abattoir by the lake -- that he was bred there, got his start there,
    or passed through there during the days when he was tender".

H. L. Mencken, 1917

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You are so wrong.

Chickies with $500 jeans don't paint their own nails, ever. They put on lip gloss, four times an inning. They put their hair up...then take it down. Head shake, fluff fluff. Put the hair up again. Pull down a few whisps. Look at reflection in friend's sunglasses. Take hair down. Head shake, fluff fluff fluff.

Also, on a brighter note, add Damen/North/Milwaukee to your shopping map.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Take an architectural boat tour on the Chicago River.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If want to boo the Trib Co, sit in the Starbucks across the street from the Tribune Building. It's cheaper, no one is dropping anything, and you're not giving Trib Co your money. :)

(By the way, you also would be pretty close to the Wrigley Building, too, so you could boo to the south as well.)

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm so bummed -- I'll be in Chicago next week, and I'm going to JUST miss the Twins playing the Chisox.

But I appreciate the recommendations on this thread, especially the boat tour. Does anyone know if those are the ones that leave from Navy Pier?

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

No telling what page this thread had dropped to, but I'm in Chicago now through next Wednesday a.m. If you're around, drop a line. My first evening in town was a good one with several 312s in my belly while catching up with old friends. *You* could be next.

11. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

Comiskey parking tip

If you're looking for $10 parking and booze at the same time, park at Cobblestone's. It's on 39th (Pershing) roughly three blocks south and west of Comiskey.

You park in their fenced-in lot for $10, but that's not the best part. When you go inside to pay, they give you $10 in tokens to spend on beer. Or, at least they did last year the last time I tried this. Can't beat that.

LW

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Del,

Enjoy.

See the sights. Awesome museums/architecture/cultural bullshit. Have a beer at the Billy Goat. Extend my greetings and salutations to the immortal Mr. Butkus. And Duh Coach, now that I think about it. ...

Hope you make it to the bleachers at Wrigley. I had to settle for the first base line.

Jesus

Draft saved Draft deleted