1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago media and WNBA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sports Barf, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What a bad look for Chicago media…

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Do they have a sky beat reporter?

you have three major teams playing today and the other two in training camp plus I’m assuming so I would imagine this was at least sixth on the list of importance. I don’t know if they sent someone to northwesterns game but they would be traveling today

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I forgot reporters were supposed to be advocates of the teams they cover.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So if I'm reading her bio right, we have a Sun-Times writer calling out the rest of the Chicagoland media?

Add to Della's list the Illini writer(s), but betting they're based in Champaign, not Chicago.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Shit, she should be celebrating.

She had a monopoly on media availability for what she maintains is a monster-interest, can't-miss beat.

Also, what micro said ...

6. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

I've picked up the Sun-Times a few times in the last couple of weeks when I've been in the Chicago area. She should probably be worried about her own writing before worrying what everyone else is doing.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could it be possible that some writers informed the team's media rep that they had conflicts and made other arrangements? I somehow doubt that the Chicago Sky is a fortress when it comes to access.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah crying about getting what amounts to exclusives is a weird look

Patchen, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

Iowa used to (and may still) have a separate teleconference for opposing team writers. In Kirk Ferentz’s first season, for the Northwestern game, I was the only one on the call. I did not complain nor call out my peers.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At this point, almost all of them are, and they're not shy about it, and it has long been true at the highest levels of the business. That's the funny thing. While reporters at smaller outlets always worried about telling the story objectively and earning critics along the way for doing so - at this point, some might even call them immoral to tell both sides of something - the stars in the industry happily stumped for their pals. Got rich doing so, too.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize there was a need for "media availability" in the WNBA

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How many people even realized the WNBA season is still going on?

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted