1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Daily News Building

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I installed an espresso machine in this building today.

[​IMG]

I've always thought it was a beautiful building, and especially love how it pairs with the Opera House across the river.

[​IMG]

I'd never been inside it before today though.

It's a little "scarred" with the walkway through the middle of it, but you can tell it was something special in its day.

Does anyone have any recollections of this building from its heyday?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mundane and nondescript.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Its heyday? How the hell old do you think we are?

4. YankeeFan

Well, I know we have some old timers here, and I was thinking maybe someone had a father or uncle, or something that worked in the building when it was still putting out a newspaper.

Daily News died in '78/'79? But they moved in with the Sun-Times before they died, right?

5. YankeeFan

Exactly!

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The newspaper next to the opera house?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Seeing that huge former newspaper building made me wonder again about Tribune Tower.

With way fewer employees, how much of the Trib's building is leased out these days?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My recollections don't date back before the Sun-Times and the Daily News shared a building where the Trump Tower now stands.

What is the address (or intersection) of this old Daily News building?

9. YankeeFan

Bounded by Washington to the North, the river to the East, Madison to the South, and Canal to the West.

Current address is now 2 N. Riverside Plaza. It's directly across from the Opera House, which was build after the Daily News building, but is similar enough looking in materials and design to be a very complimentary complementary building.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1XZ2

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Well, hello, Daily News. You're looking exceptionally good today."

"Why, thank you, Opera House! I got some sun yesterday."

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks, YF. I got it now. I was thinking the east side of the river rather than the west.
    Never knew that building as the Daily News building and my old man worked in downtown Chicago for a while. I need to find out when they began to bunk with the Sun-Times in that ugly boxy building farther north and east along the Chicago river.

12. YankeeFan

The old Sun-Times building was really hideous:

[​IMG]

The new Trump Tower/Hotel that replaced it, is actually pretty decent looking, and a nice addition to the skyline:

[​IMG]

It's been in the news recently, as Donald finally got permission to emblazon it with his name, in 20' tall letters, which are in the process of going up now:

[​IMG]

People are not thrilled with this development:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted