1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago boy, 6, accidentally shoots, kills brother, 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, that's not why this guy had a gun.

I highly doubt he was a Republican voting, NRA member.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand that. But that's why many gun owners think it's worth the risk, and it is why the Second Amendment exists.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We're accepting the narrative that this was an accident??

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yup. Good thing I didn't compare myself to this guy. Just stated the reasons I won't own a gun.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you go with Starman to a meeting recently, where gun owners talked openly about this?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is this inaccurate?

The second front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination the other day, in so many words, said that this is why gun rights should be protected. He said that gun ownership would have prevented the Holocaust. I'm not making a value judgment. As I understand it, this is why many people believe that the Second Amendment is important.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a Law and Order episode where two reenactors were doing the Hamilton-Burr duel. Only there was a sniper who fired the live round from a distance to kill the reenactor while trying to pin it on the Burr actor because of whatever money/affair problem that slips my mind.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As a Criminal Intent buff, that's a favorite episode. The sniper actually shot the wrong reenactor, because they switched roles from rehearsal and thus were wearing different jackets, which the sniper was unaware of. He'd been hired by the wife of the one guy. She was a politician, hubby was a sleazebag, and she wanted him dead for a myriad of reasons. Was based on the relationship between Jeanine Pirro and her husband.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Criminal Intent was at once the best Law & Order series and the most criminally underrated.

Mr. Sunshine and HC like this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes, if he did not have the gun the 6-year-old couldn't have used it. But if he didn't have it loaded and had it locked the 6-year-old couldn't have used it.

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

But how many people with guns are actually smart about it, cjericho. Not enough.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A University of North Carolina study in 2001 showed 43 percent of of people reporting gun ownership and younger children in the home say they don't store their guns in a locked compartment where the children can't access them. Forty five percent say they don't use trigger locks and 36 percent say they keep their firearms loaded in the home.

Further, a study published in the American Journal of Public Health shows about a third of American children live in homes with firearms, and of these households, 43 percent contain at least one unlocked firearm. Thirteen percent of households with guns contain at least one firearm that is unlocked and loaded or stored with ammunition (Mark A. Schuster et al., “Firearm storage patterns in US homes with children,” American Journal of Public Health). In all, more than two million American children live in homes with unsecured guns — and 1.7 million live in homes with guns that are both loaded and unlocked (Okoro et al., Prevalence of Household Firearms and Firearm-Storage Practice In the 50 States and the District of Columbia: Findings From The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2002, Pediatrics).

So I guess it should come as no surprise that toddlers are shooting someone on a weekly basis in the U.S. Yes, toddlers.
    People are getting shot by toddlers on a weekly basis this year

Guns don't kill people. Toddlers kill people.

Draft saved Draft deleted