1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi Trib don't know black men?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Not knowing who Kenan Ivory Wayans is probably has more to do with the average age on the copy desk than race. Generational thing, more than likely. That's probably true in a lot of cases.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. In Living Color was on like 20 years ago, wasn't it?

3. dcdream

dcdream Member

In Living Color ran from 1990 to 1994.

Here is something that is unsaid. Journalists generally are supposed to have a general knowledge of a lot of subjects.

But I have been in newrooms when black figures die such as Gerald Levert or Aaliyah, often times white editors don't know who the hell he or she was. But when someone such as if Peter Tork died, blacks are supposed to know. For those who don't, he is a member of the Monkees.

Or in my case, older editors who I have worked think they have to school me on pop/rock bands of the 60s and 70s because I am in the hip-hop generation. But they don't realized I have heard and even listened to those bands and know who they are....but they know nothing about who Fab Five Freddy is and don't want to know.

4. boots

boots New Member

A journalist should know a little bit about everything. True generations lapse but the crap at the Trib happens more than it should. Racism, partly. Sloppiness, partly. Apathy, totally.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I think in the "Clown" mix-up, they ran a correction the next day and ran ANOTHER wrong picture of a random old guy.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

And again, racism? C'mon. No one's on the desk going "This'll show them colored folks." Racism is a real strong word.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

An overused word and in this case not appropriate.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch. Dcdream smacked me right between the eyes on that one.

I think this is strong argument for a diverse workplace.

Anything sose I don't have to bone up on hip-hop.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

boots may be onto something here. it's not like a lot of black people live in the chicago area or not. who cares if they read the paper?

10. There's a reason sports uniforms have numbers. How else are you supposed to tell one player from another? Other than the biggest stars in each sport, I haven't the faintest idea what anyone looks like. Could you identify Kevin Kouzmanoff and Josh Bard by their pictures alone? Probably not.

11. boots

boots New Member

Ace, through the years, the paper hasn't enjoyed a great relationship with the African American community. And the paper hasn't exactly been at the forefront in its hiring practices. It's just a bad situation that continues to get worse, especially since the Trib is looking to pinch pennies.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And the Miami Herald hasn't had a great relationship with the Hispanic community.

I can't believe either was intentional.

Draft saved Draft deleted