1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Another high-level Tesla departure. Add Justin McAnear, VP of worldwide finance and operations, to the recently dearly departed. Jim Chanos' list of executive departures may be 4 pages single spaced by now. He says mass departures are most reliable indicator of fraud or something being really wrong with a company that he knows.

2. The Big Ragu

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is this a long-term deflection?
    If your house of cards is about to collapse anyway, could you just start to create a 'I've got mental health issues' side story to explain the collapse?
    I've had a couple people make passing comments to me that Tesla is going to fall apart because Musk is going crazy. I say 'Tesla was going to implode whether Musk acted crazy or not,' and they look at me like I'm crazy.

None of this will forestall the inevitable, but it does serve his ego/legacy.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Digital technology fails on an infrequent but predictably regular basis.

Before digital televisions, every time you turned on your TV it would power up in less than a second and never need rebooting. I love my digital smart TV and the inconvenience of having to reboot my cable box every few weeks, losing connectivity for 15 minutes is worth it. Same with my internet connection.

Before digital phones you would never have to charge a phone. It would work even when the power was off. If you were away from home you would not have to carry a mobile device and chargers because they had the "Uber" of communications, i. e. pay phones. You would not also receive 14 scammer calls a week because digital calls are so easy to spoof and can't be regulated. And unlike HDTV the quality of digital calls is worse not better than analog.

6. The Big Ragu

Terms of Service Violation

Tesla is under investigation by the Justice Department over public statements made by the company and Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, according to two people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg News’ Tom Schoenberg and Matt Robinson report. The criminal probe is running alongside a previously reported civil inquiry by securities regulators.

Federal prosecutors opened a fraud investigation after Musk tweeted last month that he was contemplating taking Tesla private and had “funding secured” for the deal, said the people, who were granted anonymity to discuss a confidential criminal probe.

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In the end this will all be on Musk. Even Steve Jobs -- another malignant personality -- tried to let professionals run Apple, for a time. (Until they threw him the hell out.) Musk was facing much greater structural odds than Jobs, but still could have been the man leading the next great tech revolution, even if his primary accomplishment was just developing a better battery.

10. The Big Ragu

Gordon Johnson of the Vertical Group has something out in which he posits the "delivery hell" Elon Musk has been whining about increasingly, is more accounting chicanery to generate cash to make the cash flow situation look better than it really is. Mind you, he has no proof. But would anyone be surprised?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like the comparison, and for some reason had never considered it.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the same field, I think Preston Tucker is the better comparison.

Cutting edge tech; not a lick of business sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted