1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy unveils the new Corvette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I've never owned a Corvette; my brother has had two.

But I've always thought one of the things that made that car special was its uniqueness -- that, a Corvette could almost never be confused with another brand of fast-ass car. Even people who don't really know cars just knew one as soon as they saw it.

This new thing is an overstyled mess, the bastard spawn of a sports car orgy. I guess sometimes, less really is more.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK, after watching the video, I'm a little more inclined to like it. A little.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130113/DETROIT/130119924

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I love it, I want one, I'll never be able to afford one. Not entirely sold on the back end, but beyond that, it is a gorgeous car.

Mind you I also like the new Camero as well.

The new Vette is a drastic change from the old one and will take a lot of people time to warm up to it, but I like the change. Maybe the biggest improvement was the interior, but I also like all the edges and most of the vents -- all of which apparently serve a role and are more than just there for looks.

If I had the money, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rumored top-speed on a standard Stingray is 179 mph.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a car person, but seems to me this is going to be a flop. Yvette sales have fallen off a cliff in the last five years. Last year they sold the fewest since one of the early years of production and went from 40,000 sold in 2007 to 12,000 sold last year. With that trend I can understand thinking they need to try something else and get away from the traditional Corvette. But luxury cat sales are down across the board, so now they are trying to sell an expensive car into a tough market, and on top of it are starting to abandon the traditional Yvette enthusiasts. Hopefully for them, they sell a few this year on the buzz of something new, but I am guessing it might struggle. Then two years out, though, where are they with tradional Corvette owners? Seems like a no win situation... like the car really has outlived itself. But maybe I am wrong and don't understand Corvette people. Will they keep buying whatever Chevy comes up with as long as it says Corvette on the car?

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My only quibble with it is the rear quarter windows, which I think are unnecessary. Otherwise, I think it's beautiful. The interior, especially, is a tremendous improvement over previous generations. I'm in love.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Too angular. Too busy. Looks like it came out of the Cadillac design studio by way of Nissan Racing and Michael Bay.

Preferred the last several generations of Mae West/sex bomb/curvilinear refinement.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG].

I think I will take this instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the new Ferrarii F12...

[​IMG]

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'll take this...

[​IMG]

11. joe

joe Active Member

Did Homer Simpson design this Corvette abortion?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The fact that Chevy engineers even have the nuts to call that a "Stingray" is insanity.

Oh......and the new camaro looks more like a Chevy Beretta than a Chevy Camaro.

Draft saved Draft deleted