1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cher

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 25, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was the Slappy White "yer bending the shafts" story when Hanks worked at a country club. He told that on the final NBC Letterman.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Geez, dude. Are you for real.
    We're talking about a late-night talk show on at 12:35 a.m. five days as week.
    We're talking about a Beatle.
    Fourth-best, fifth-best ... he's a fucking BEATLE.
    You can give him the whole show. He's gonna play something at the end. The Mirage in Vegas sells out 6 nights a week for people to see a bunch of acrobats doing stuff while 40-year-old Beatles music is playing.
    Would you rather cut him off to save 8 minutes for Kathy Griffin or a second-rate comedian?
    Some people just want to challenge anything anybody says.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that his first show after 9/11, he had Regis on for nearly the entire show. I don't remember if there was a musical act or anything like that.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most big stars aren't willing to do more than two segments. I remember Stern said once on his show that they asked him to do three segments and he said no and they said, "C'mon, you really want to make someone follow you?" and then he relented.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I am serious, and don't call me Raul. :)

I am old enough to remember the Beatles' when they were playing. In Rock and Roll/R & B history, Ringo Starr is not as important as Aretha Franklin, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Quincy Jones, Bruce Springsteen, Roger Daltry, Bono, Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, and probably some other people who don't immediately come to mind. Those are people who are alive - if we were talking about people who have died, the list would go on endlessly.

The reason the Beatles still remain apart from other performers is the writing of Lennon and McCartney; Ringo Starr had little if anything to do with that. You can't replace John Lennon, Paul McCartney or George Harrison. On the other hand, if you put Keith Moon or Charlie Watts as the drummer instead of Ringo Starr, nothing is lost.

You may disagree with the reasons, but I do have support for my contention.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I am old enough to have debated that the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles. So there.
    You're saying Keith Moon should get the whole show at 12:35 a.m. but Ringo Starr shouldn't because John, Paul and George picked him instead of a better drummer??
    This isn't a debate on who had a greater impact on rock 'n' roll history. It's about guests on a TV show.
    Ringo Starr is a Beatle, he is a mega-guest on any late-night talk show.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you seriously debated that the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles, it certainly calls your judgment into question.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was 12 and I lived in a beach community.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For musicians...

1. Mick
    2. Bruce
    3. Paul
    4. Ringo

You can interchange 1-3 anyway you want, but cracking that top four does not come easy.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ringo Starr, Julie Andrews and Sean Connery are all must-see interviews for the demographic that watches Leno.
    Expect a lot of ads for AARP, life insurance, reverse mortgages and burial plots.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Denzel was on the whole time promoting Flight. It happened right around Sandy when everything was shut down. There was no studio audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted