1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheney's Plane Diverted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rough Mix, Feb 24, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

And he was an actual pilot. He provided much of the realistic cockpit dialogue for the Twilight Zone episode where a commercial airliner flies into fog and emerges in the dinosaur age.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I certainly learned quite a bit about plane crashes from his writing.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn right it's my job. I've done it once, and I'll do it again /Col. Jessup.

Disagree all you want, but wishing him dead? .... Yeesh.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wishing him dead is a bit over the top. Is there somewhere he could be dropped off to stand trial as a war criminal?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Cheney knew that Iraq would be a quagmire back in '91 during the first Gulf War.

From Dan Froomkin's blog:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2007/02/23/BL2007022300990_pf.html

I'm not sure, but this may have been the first time a reporter asked Cheney to respond to his now-famous assertion in 1991 that a U.S. invasion of Iraq would result in a quagmire.

Here's the complete quote from 1991 ( YouTube has the audio): "The notion that we ought to now go to Baghdad and somehow take control of the country strikes me as an extremely serious one in terms of what we'd have to do once we got there. You'd probably have to put some new government in place. It's not clear what kind of government that would be, how long you'd have to stay. For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern in Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire."

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, thanks for not taking things too personally. My remark was an off-handed statement. I don't wish death on anyone, really. But I'm not going to lie and say that I would shed a tear if his plane took a nose-dive into a mountain. I flat-out don't like the guy, and I honestly think our world be safer without him in it.

As for your service, I think it's great that you're willing to sacrifice yourself for your country. At times, though, you are a bit too gung-ho with your killing-machine persona for my taste. It's a natural inclination for a peacenik like me to find fault in your attitude, but I know you're good people. Plus, you provide some great cooking advice, even if it seems a little over the top.

7. three_bags_full

I'm not much of a warhawk. That's for sure. Do I enjoy what I do? Yes. But I don't have a "gung-ho" attitude or a "killing-machine persona." The "Full Metal Jacket" quotes are just that.

8. Nothing about jelly doughnuts?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I like you. You can come over and FUCK MY SISTER!

10. three_bags_full

That's the best six minutes of movie EVER!

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I always like the boot camp part of the movie. The rest? Eh, not as much.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

After "me so horny" it pretty much ends.

Draft saved Draft deleted